Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dsa2780
  • 3 Post By Fern-dog

Thread: Fishing the lower Sacramento (Walnut Grove)?

Re: Fishing the lower Sacramento (Walnut Grove)?

Shad follow seams (trails) in the river. That's one reason certain areas of the river, Sacramento or American are more conducive To holding and producing fish. Find those seams and fish them and you will get fish!
    The area below the bridge at Freeport has a bottom structure which is conducive to holding fish, thus it is a productive area, as is the area around and along Miller Park and at and below the American on the Sac. It's the same with Salmon. That's why those areas are producers.

You may and will get stragglers in other areas, but these areas are tried and proven to be productive! Good Luck .....

Fern-Dog
    08' 21 Ft. NorthRiver Sea Hawk, 150 Yam w/8 hp Kicker, MK 101 TM, Lowrance HD5 ..... Retired , Fish'en & Happy

I have caught a few in the hood area a few years back, I'm sure you could get them in walnut grove they have to pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by insearchoffish View Post
    One would think you should be able to! Its weird how everyone fishes there at freeport and the american and you dont hear much about them anywhere else south of sac.
    Exactly what I was speculating on. I think it might be because the majority of guys who fish Freeport come from Sacramento and the city limits, as opposed to living in the Delta or don't know much about all of the acces south. Freeport is crammed all parts of the day, with quite a massive number of boaters all anchored in the prime spots and a host of urban city fishermen. It's not my ideal place.

In my belief, every migratory fish that is caught at Freeport has to pass under the walnut grove bridge, and right by my house along Hood.

I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning I guess.

One would think you should be able to! Its weird how everyone fishes there at freeport and the american and you dont hear much about them anywhere else south of sac.

Fishing the lower Sacramento (Walnut Grove)?

I'm in Walnut Grove at least once each weekend early in the morning. The shad that are being caught in Freeport all must pass through Walnut Grove if I'm not mistaken, right?

Can shad be caught in the walnut grove area in masse, or are they only able to be landed in Freeport and the AR?

The river is extremely narrow compared to freeport, meaning I could get dart rigs down into the middle with my ultralight gear more efficiently than in Freeport.