Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Jitterbug topwater lure for LargeMouth Bass

Re: Jitterbug topwater lure for LargeMouth Bass

Good point!

I am real tempted to drop the $10 + s&h...

http://www.amazon.com/Arbogast-Compa...d_sim_sbs_sg_5

Professional and Courteous

Quote Originally Posted by nvthis View Post
    Either the fish have gotten smarter, or I have grown dumber and can no longer recognize the right stuations to throw it anymore.
    You're just over thinking it. When we used them as kids we werent relying on electronics, color patterns, temps, depths, structure, etc.. We didnt know most of that stuff and would tie one on and just cast. Today we're pinpoint casting, sight fishing, and all the other "great" techniques we've acquired. Give one of those to someone who doesnt know all that stuff, like I did my g/f, and they still work.

~RNP

Used to throw these when I was a kid. They were deadly in farm ponds. We would use the biggest ones we could find. They had to be black, and the broken-backs were prized (haven't seen a broken-back Jitterbug in FOREVER)

A majority of the largest bass of my youth were taken at dusk/dawn/night on jitterbugs and Hula Poppers. At some point we discovered rubber worms, spinner baits and then others, and never looked back. I bought a jitterbug brand new a few years back. I have tied it on on several occasions and it hasn't produced a single strike. Either the fish have gotten smarter, or I have grown dumber and can no longer recognize the right stuations to throw it anymore.

i still keep two in my box! had them for yeeaaarrrrsss. smaller than frog, easy to cast accurately, good topwater action, treble hooks increase hook-up rate

Jitterbugs are one of the best top water lures ever!!!! Don't be afraid to go with the musky size one for bass. I throw topwater ALL DAY LONG. High noon is one of the best times. Even in open water that's fairly deep. Bass can't resist the gurgle gurlge of ah Jitterbug.
    A bad fisherman will leave trash and take fish.
    A good fisherman will leave fish and take trash.

Professional and Courteous

My g/f caught her first top water bass on one over Memorial Day Weekend on the Delta. She tried other top waters but couldnt get the hang of it so I tied on a Jitterbug and within a couple minutes she got slammed.

~RNP

Yeah I used them as a kid in the 1970s...in fact my first bass was caught on a Jitterbug...it was the only lure I owned at that time.

Nowadays though, I tend to use topwater lures mainly in weed choked areas where you could not even consider using a Jitterbug or any other lure with treble hooks.

He is right about the hook-up rate with soft frogs though....I probably only manage 50% on my best days.... It can get pretty frustrating.

Blog Entries

Jitterbug topwater lure for LargeMouth Bass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12