Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: S.o.b

Re: S.o.b

What caliber is your jeep? Just turn the radio and lights off cause you can't use electronics to take game in california.

buzzard

FS Staff
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
    Hey Lloyd,
    Think about it from the rangers' point of view. The guy hit it with his car. He then drives all the way to a DFG office (with todays gas prices) and tells the ranger (honestly) that he hit it with his car. He PAYS for a tag and has it validated. Then he drives back home. The officer just collected the price of the tag (a boon to our dry state coffers), was able to collect the survey info, and kept a rotting deer off the side of the road. IMHO this should be how these "road incidents" are handled. A lot easier for everyone invloved. The crucial thing that seperates poaching from hitting a deer in the road, is 1) its almost impossible to do it on purpose and 2) nobody wants to wreck their car by hitting a deer.

Never saw the reply, but I couldn't agree more. I would fill both tags with awesome bucks no prob. Living in Foresthill I see some awesome deer fresh and go to waste. It's a shame that's not our state.

A poacher could have a front end damaged car and just shoot many deer and say he hit it first and then dispatched it? There are alot of scenarios that could come out....?? I think the rule is fine to leave rod kill alone...but I also think if you hit it with a vehicle and there is edible meat and you are willing to clean the carcass and prepare it then thats just fine as well. This is another one of those letter vs. spirit of law deals.

RF

Hey Lloyd,
    Think about it from the rangers' point of view. The guy hit it with his car. He then drives all the way to a DFG office (with todays gas prices) and tells the ranger (honestly) that he hit it with his car. He PAYS for a tag and has it validated. Then he drives back home. The officer just collected the price of the tag (a boon to our dry state coffers), was able to collect the survey info, and kept a rotting deer off the side of the road. IMHO this should be how these "road incidents" are handled. A lot easier for everyone invloved. The crucial thing that seperates poaching from hitting a deer in the road, is 1) its almost impossible to do it on purpose and 2) nobody wants to wreck their car by hitting a deer.

Only "approved methods of take" are allowed. Hitting it with a vehicle and killing it then tagging it is not. But...hitting it with a vehicle then dragging into the woods and shooting it thus killing it and then tagging it should be legal since you are using a legal method of "take". All you would need to know is that it was alive when you killed it......but as someone said earlier....I do not think there is anything in the law that specifically says it needs to be alive when you use an approved method to take it? But we all know "take" is to kill...

RF

FS Staff
    Images

Not to go against what the law says, but I while at the dfg nimbus office last year during deer season, a guy showed up with a deer from his farm in colusa and after he explained to the captain that he hit it he then sold him a tag and validated it and allowed him to keep it? Anyone know why that is? I overheard it first hand but this special circumstances?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reel fun View Post
    where there is a will....there is a way!!

Rf
    amen!!!!!!!

Where there is a will....there is a way!!

RF

Sacramento, California, United States, Earth

Hook Re: S.o.b

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    motor vehicles are not a legal method of take.
    Hahaha! Thats funny! It would be cheaper to buy the best equipment out there whether bow or rifle then to keep paying for your car to get fixed..... Ah. unless you had a steel bumper with a brush guard!
    - Fish & hunt all you want, but please harvest only what you need -

I would think technically the deer attacked your jeep, so you could shoot it in self defense just in case it woke back up and resumed its assault. Happening to have a tag at the ready is just a happy coincidence

"One Fish" Bainter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast