Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: gelcoat repair

aka SMOGGUY

Re: gelcoat repair

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN_BUDDY View Post
    Thanks for all the replies & encouragement!

I'll give it a whirl and see if it spins. I bought all the supplies I need. I can always pay some one to fix it if I screw up real bad. I'll continue researching iboats and viewing videos. It looks simple enough.

Thanks!
    Like anything once ya get over the fear factor it's a piece of cake,a little work but easy an well worth it....Trust Me!!!!

Thanks for all the replies & encouragement!

I'll give it a whirl and see if it spins. I bought all the supplies I need. I can always pay some one to fix it if I screw up real bad. I'll continue researching iboats and viewing videos. It looks simple enough.

Thanks!

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by pdgs View Post
    It aint no big deal. Follow Crabby's original advice of using the Tiger Hair as both a bonding agent and filler. That's what it's designed to do. Finish it with a skim coat of 3M Marine plastic filler, sand to 240g, primer, paint and then color sand if you're a perfectionist. That entire process should take no more than 5 hours including dry time if you have everthing you need.
    I just looked at my ol can of fibreglass repair,it's brand name is everglass,it is a short strand fiberglass reinforced body filler with Kevlar for added strength.body shops call it Angel hair,or as PD said tiger hair,it works an is real easy to use,a 10 year old could do it..This is not rocket science,unless I had damage way,way worse than yours it's no biggie!!!!!!!!!!

Ban Master

FB, I suggest going over to the forums at iboat.com and checking out the hundreds of threads they have about gelcoat and fiberglass repair. Im certain you will find step by step detailed instructions with pics and maybe even video of similar repairs and you'll realize its not going to be that bad to DIY.

~RNP

Blog Entries

It aint no big deal. Follow Crabby's original advice of using the Tiger Hair as both a bonding agent and filler. That's what it's designed to do. Finish it with a skim coat of 3M Marine plastic filler, sand to 240g, primer, paint and then color sand if you're a perfectionist. That entire process should take no more than 5 hours including dry time if you have everthing you need.

Crabby's correct, it doesn't look that bad. Check the bare area to make sure there is not any structural problems such as cracks in the fiberglass matting. I would apply some fiberglass resin to the bare areas to make sure the matt is bonded together then apply Marinetex as a filler. build it up like bondo then file and sand it into shape. Spray alittle paint or leave it as is and you should be good to go. As for all the small holes you can fill those with Marinetex also.

I'm not a boat repair person so there maybe better products to use but I have done the same thing on a few boats and it worked out good.

aka SMOGGUY

Not bad at all,mine was worse!!!!Do it your self as suggested!!If your neat an fast not much sanding will be required!!!!If ya live up by Grass Valley I'll help ya.....

Looks like alot of trouble, I say have the pro do it

Here are a couple of additional pics. The area of affected is large and it under the boat. So It will require a lot of time with the respirator and lying on my back sanding away.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast