Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Downrigger braid

Re: Downrigger braid

Quote Originally Posted by pdgs View Post
    The line counters I have don't work. There's too much tension on the line and it won't lock down in the counter. It will count without being locked in but I couldn't get it to do it with any reliable consistency. I don't give up easily so I'll keep thinking it over and trying different things.
    Which riggers do you have? I have used 16# on my extendable booms and the counters work flawlessly. Every rigger that I know of calculates a foot as a single revolution of the spool....and that is just what the counter does. Only difference is YOU don't need to keep track of the revolutions the counter does that.

On braid, if it means that much to someone, you could add colored bobber stops every 10 feet and check that against your counter. If you need too.......but I just watch my Lowrance HDS-Touch units.

Edd
    Pro Staff - LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    Pro Staff - SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfishes View Post
    Are you using the Scotty RED stops? These are for Scotty DR's that have braid.
    No so I guess I have a good excuse to go to Outdoor Pro Shop huh.. Thanks, I didn't even know they made them.

The advantage I notice rite away, NO SINGING CABLE!!!, you also can use less weight to get down the same depth, i use less weight in the lakes for trolling, don't know about the ocean.

The Scotty stops also slip even when doubled up so I set them up higher. I still don't really trust them and manually stop it instead. I personally think it's worth the trade off. I like the nearly zero noise factor, lower drag and none of the problems with generating voltages, etc. I actually don't know if the voltage thing is really as big a deal as it's made out to be. I've never seen it as an enhancement or problem but some claim otherwise.
    Are you using the Scotty RED stops? These are for Scotty DR's that have braid.

Slayer of Fish

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of good info here that I'll go through and figure out. I'll be using it mostly out in the ocean for salmon. Maybe I'll fill one with braid and do a side by side comparison and post the results. I've got a few months to figure out the details before I need to do anything.

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    So to get rid of the hum you just put a big cork on top and let it float on top of the water as you troll. Sort of like a sliding cork? How big? Wine bottle cork or a 2" round cork?
    A small cork works fine. The only issue I've experienced using the cork is it has to be snug enough to be tight on the line, but still must slide when raising the DR. Ive found that the hole in the cork enlarges after a short time, making them too loose to effectively stop the hum.

Maybe you can cut a slit in the side of the cork so it can be easily popped off before raising the gear, but that's kind of a pain when running multiple DRs. We run 4 most of the time, and occasionally 6 when trolling for salmon.

Just my .02.

So to get rid of the hum you just put a big cork on top and let it float on top of the water as you troll. Sort of like a sliding cork? How big? Wine bottle cork or a 2" round cork?

Thanks for the info, might have to give that a try.

Blog Entries

I don't see how the counters are all that precise. They're just counting rotation without regard to how much line is stacked on. If you want to get more precise you might try mounting a Berkeley line counter on it somewhere after you put the braid on. In fact, that gives me an idea. I can hardly read mine when they get fogged up and I have a couple of the Rapala lighted line counters (pre Berkeley). Maybe I can make something work. I'll let you know. I have Scotty 1106's.
    The line counters I have don't work. There's too much tension on the line and it won't lock down in the counter. It will count without being locked in but I couldn't get it to do it with any reliable consistency. I don't give up easily so I'll keep thinking it over and trying different things.

Blog Entries

you can get rid of the humming by putting a wine cork or large foam bobber on your cables

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast