Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Images

Re: Effects of Saltwater on Boats

Quote Originally Posted by tuna_head
    ...the boat is 32 years old, ... looks new exept the battle scars from gaffs, missing the trailer, running into the dock....*
    Talk about optimistic.... like a reporter asking President Abe Lincoln, " other than being shot dead....how did you like the play?" * ;D ;D ;D

Hey j/k *8-)

metalmouth

Quote Originally Posted by vance_staplin
    Hi Guy's,

When I worked at North River Marine it became obvious to me that the boats that spent a lot of time on Pyramid often had more corrosion than the salt water ran boats.

It is probably because they weren't maintained as well. *But Pyramid is a problem also.

My.02 cents

Vance
    Good point Vance! Pyramid was a lot more corrosive on my tackle then the ocean ever has been. :-/

Does it really matter if you want to fish? hehe

I have a nieghbor who bought a brand new truck just to have it wrapped up and a firend of my dad's bought a brand new boat just to park it in the driveway.....

i see this and i shake my head.... lifes to short to keep good things wrapped up and put away, you bought it to take you fishing so fishing you must go.... the rust, break downs and maintanance is just a part of a boat owner's life...... ;D oh yeah and spending lots and lots of $$$$$ :-?

salt, the boat i have cant stand fresh water first time i took it to a lake i blew the motor.the boat is 32 years old, 3rd motor 3rd trailer, the boat looks new exept the battle scars from gaffs, missing the trailer, running into the dock. lots of wd40 and cash you just have to keep on top of it

Hi Guy's,

When I worked at North River Marine it became obvious to me that the boats that spent a lot of time on Pyramid often had more corrosion than the salt water ran boats.

It is probably because they weren't maintained as well. But Pyramid is a problem also.

My.02 cents

Vance

Quote Originally Posted by Fin
    "If you don't, you will pay big time."

How? *What will happen?

And even if you spend 2 hours washing it down, will you still be subjecting your boat to a shorter life span?
    A good fiberglass hull made for heavy ocean use will last you a lifetime of fishing if properly cared for. My Cabo is a 1991 build and it still shows very well. Washing down properly includes soaping the bilge, flushing the bait tanks and pumps, flushing the bilge pumps, and the engine. Most IO systems now are fresh water cooled so the salt comes up through the outdrive through the heat exchanger and out through the risers. These have to be flushed. The engine area of a IO has to be treated with fogging oil to reach areas you cant get to. The thru hulls and ball cocks have to be kept clean. Etc, Etc, Will your boat fall to pieces if you run it in salt, the answer is no if it's taken care of. Before they shut salmon this year mine fished 250-350hrs per year. Will be about 200 this year. Engine is replaced by every 2000hr with new and OD overhaul then also. Hull is kept waxed and stainless polished. Lots say anal, thats OK it will go up against any of the new ones. Just be aware if you run a salt boat it's alot more time consuming keeping it up. As far as what salt hulls are better I've owned most of them and will keep this one as long as I can fish. - Al

I hate it when they do that. >

If your trailer frame is galvanized, either galvanized or stainless steel U-Bolts and tie plates should be used for salt water. You need stainless steel for aluminum frame trailers. I think that all leaf springs are spring steel that eventually rust out in saltwater and need to be replaced periodically. Torsion axles seem to hold up better to saltwater exposure.

I had an axle replaced after I lost a wheel a few months ago. I used the boat in saltwater for the first time since the change just last week. The axle turned out to have been painted silver rather than being galvanized and it is already rusted brown. The tie plates and U-bolts are also rusted after just 2 dips in the salt. They replaced galvanized stuff with painted steel! I guess in Reno they never expect anybody to use their boat in the ocean. I need to pay more attention when other people work on my stuff. Looks like I'm going to have to change out the axle and U-bolts before next summer.

Blog Entries
    Images

Regarding trailers, the new to me boat was used almost exclusively in salt water. *The boat was always washed down as well as the motor being flushed with fresh water but the trailer will have to have ALL it's fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers) to be replaced as well as the bunks u-bolts. *BTW the trailer is aluminum but the fasteners are regular steel *:-[

* * I agree with most of what was said above. *I tend to be a bit anal about my boat. Heck, I'm a lot anal. *I'm pretty particular about all my stuff for that matter. *To me it represents years of working at the salt mine that I hated every minute I was there. *It's far cheaper to maintain something than it is to replace it all the time. *I probably spend two hours on my boat after a day in the salt. *I do that much even if it's going back into the salt the next day too, so you see why I consider myself a bit anal. *I will say that hitchhikers that help, usually get more invitations for another trip. *I hate breakdowns and equipment failures. *I like to just relax and fish when I fish, and not work on the boat.

* * The trailer does take the biggest hit with saltwater. *Flushing the boat and trailer with freshwater is ok, but I use Salt Away on a creeper in my garage to get to all the nuts and bolts that are hard to reach. *I expect my boat to outlast me. *At least that's my goal. I take a lot of pride in keeping things shipshape...Ben.

How about just plan a fresh water fishing trip the day after you pull the boat out of the salt? You no 'two birds one stone'...

Heck, just use the boat how you want to..
    Or......... You could just sit at home? :-X

jas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast