Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Anyone Build A Homemade Downrigger???

Quote Originally Posted by GoneCountry
    I was explaining this downrigger way of fishing to my son and found this on Cabelas....Tell me you couldnt fabricate this. and what a great idea for clutch Knob tightens *just enough .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp
    This is the first downrigger I bought and I hate it. Cabela's sells great stuff except this downrigger.

Something to keep in mind is the newer electric auto window motors are up to the task and with the right spool would work well. And already are cable driven

When I was first getting into downrigging I looked at making my own. Once I priced out the materials, my time and the broken knuckles like Set_The_Hook, I determined it was a wash and purchsing on that has had the bugs worked out of it was a better option. Now if I had just headed the advice of purchasing an electric right of the bat, I wouldn't have had to upgrade several times.

FishnMike

I have used used one of my rockfish rods with a 4 lb weight and a release clip as a DR. It got some strange looks but worked great.

Board moderator Erreck made one about a year ago or so, I believe.

I was explaining this downrigger way of fishing to my son and found this on Cabelas....Tell me you couldnt fabricate this. and what a great idea for clutch Knob tightens *just enough .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

I got to thinking, so I went to the garage and found my dangerous attempt at a downrigger.

This is an example of how NOT to build one.

I just can't bring myself to throw it away.
    STH

Zucca

A few years ago my son-in-law built one for an old boat he had at the time. It worked for his purposes and most of it was made from scrap parts. It can be done. The original downriggers were homemade so there is no reason to think things are any different now. As for line, spools of downrigger line are available and now many are using heavy duty braids for the line. One problem with homemade is there is no slip clutch in case you get hung up on the bottom. Figuring depth can be done in a number of ways. I believe my s-i-l used a simple linecounter you would use with any fishing rod.
    Good luck.

Years, (and years) ago I made one out of a piece of angle iron that I clamped to the side of a little 12' aluminum boat, to which I attached a 50' length of 1/4 rope, marked off in 10' intervals so I would know about how deep I was. Hung a 10lb weight on it, and hooked up a release. It worked, but not very well. And pulling it up by hand, with no reel of any kind was a chore. But, I was young, strong, stupid, and broke, and it was better than nothing.

I made one about 15 years ago. After the handle got away from me, I almost needed stitches. My design was Terrible.
    That same season, I saw an all aluminum homemade one. It was beautiful, well designed and safe.
    I would recommend dropping the $50 or so for a used cannon clamp on.
    2 centavos
    STH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast