Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Mercury 110 / 9.8HP, Lower unit leak?

Took a ride to stockton on Saturday, meet up with a contact I got From Wildman, after taking out the guts from the unit he reduilt & putting them in my housing (Imagine that the housing were just a little different!) I'm up & running again!

Update:
    Well at long last I found parts (Thanks again Wildman!) So I went ahead & tore the rest of the lower unit down, found that the drive shaft had extreme pitting (From cavitation I think) right above were the lower oil seal on the water pump rides, so with the addition of a drive shaft to the parts list I'm now looking at $1,000+ in parts, way to much to put into this old motor.
    I have a call in for the price of a rebuilt lower unit & am crossing my fingers that it will be less then the cost of parts.

Thanks Wildman!

call and ask for lenny and have a serial number. should be able to get what you need 916-428-3917

Any suggestions for parts? I've goggled it & found some outfits but no one seems to want to call me back.

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winddog View Post
    I've been a mechanic pretty much my whole life but had never worked on outboards & am a little nervous.
    But so far so good.

That's good news. My background is auto repair, but have found that outboards have been a fairly simple transition if you have a good shop manual and some mechanical knowledge Wildman is an outboard pro, and an excellent resource. Keep us posted, and ask questions if anything comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    why would you have to destroy the prop
    It said that if the prop is seized to the shaft you heat the hub until the rudder melts, this releases the prop & then use a puller to pull the rest of the hub off the shaft.

Just a update Useing a rubber mallet I got the prop off,( the prop it's self is pretty worn so I figured if I bent it up getting it off I'd just replace it.) & the carrier and shaft out. Gears look OK so I'm trying to track down parts.
    I've been a mechanic pretty much my whole life but had never worked on outboards & am a little nervous.
    But so far so good.

why would you have to destroy the prop

Thanks AnglingWes
    Thanks for the response!

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Sounds like its time to reseal the lower unit. The side play in the prop shaft is not good, and may indicate bigger problems. If the carrier bearing on the output shaft is worn, it will cause the seal to leak, and simply replacing the seal will not fix the problem. The cost of having the lower unit rebuilt with parts and labor may be much more than the motor can be replaced for. If it is just leaking on the water pump seal, then the repair is pretty inexpensive.

I would find out what a replacement motor costs, and then have it checked out by a shop to see if its worth tearing into or not.

Just for reference, I bought a mid 80s Johnson 9.9 last summer for $550 on CL. If you could find another 110 in good shape, then at least you will have good parts for the top end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast