Re: Mercury ignition wiring help

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    The easiest way to do this is with a standard kill switch. Attwood makes a cheap kit for about $15. Turn the switch on to run, and off to kill. You can also use a momentary switch that springs to the "run" position. This way you don't spend an hour at the dock trying to start the motor only to find out the kill is off. Not as convenient as wiring a loop back into the ignition switch, but I like the simple stupid approach for this suff.
    Most likely what I will do since I am running a Universal two lever control box. And was going to mount a universal key ignition. The momentary might be the way to go.

thanks again
    2013 Cajun Archery Bowfishing Prostaff
    2012 Quickdraw Bowfishing Pro-StaffAmerican Eagle Bows
    http://motherlodebowfishing.com/

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrm20 View Post

Once I get this fixed I will have to figure out how to wire the black/yellow wire into a universal key ignition switch.
    The easiest way to do this is with a standard kill switch. Attwood makes a cheap kit for about $15. Turn the switch on to run, and off to kill. You can also use a momentary switch that springs to the "run" position. This way you don't spend an hour at the dock trying to start the motor only to find out the kill is off. Not as convenient as wiring a loop back into the ignition switch, but I like the simple stupid approach for this suff.

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    The Black/ Yellow wire should be grounded to kill the motor. After some research, I have a feeling you shorted the switchbox following the suggestion from the shop. Hopefully you can get it back.

Any time you open the ignition circuit without providing a ground, the juice stored in the coils has a tendency to "disperse" throughout the system, and can burn out any of the components easily. If something says "break" or "open" the circuit on electronic ignitions, they typically mean "ground" the open wire.

THIS IS FOR SIMPLE OUTBOARDS ONLY. Don't try grounding the trigger wire on the Crank sensor of your F250 to kill the motor.
    Makes perfect sense now. After ohm/volt testing the trigger, and stator they both check out OK. Coils check out OK as well.

Now ordering a new switch box. Found one shipped for $150. Expensive mistake on some advice from a local reputable boat shop.

Thanks for the info.

Once I get this fixed I will have to figure out how to wire the black/yellow wire into a universal key ignition switch.

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

The Black/ Yellow wire should be grounded to kill the motor. After some research, I have a feeling you shorted the switchbox following the suggestion from the shop. Hopefully you can get it back.

Any time you open the ignition circuit without providing a ground, the juice stored in the coils has a tendency to "disperse" throughout the system, and can burn out any of the components easily. If something says "break" or "open" the circuit on electronic ignitions, they typically mean "ground" the open wire.

THIS IS FOR SIMPLE OUTBOARDS ONLY. Don't try grounding the trigger wire on the Crank sensor of your F250 to kill the motor.

Thanks, I'm going to test the switchbox here right now, finally found specs on it.

Expensive part! Hoping to find a used one if it's fried part # 339-7452a10

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Its possible that the switch box cooked when you killed the pickup. Im not sure if it is a Hall-effects pickup, or magnetic pickup, and will do some research when i get home, but depending on the type, cutting power can cause current to essentially flow backwards to find ground, killing the swith.

I just saw your post, and may be able to help, but wont be home until tomorrow AM. Will follow up then.

Now I have a bigger problem!!!!!

Called a boat shop and they said I could just easily interrupt the trigger with the ignition switch.

Unplugged the brown/white wire from the trigger while the motor was running. Motor shut off.. Plugged it back in and now engine wont start and have no spark now. Ive gone over everything for the past two hours and cannot figure out what happened.

Would this have fried the switch box shown in the above wiring diagram?

Guess it isnt always good to listen to boat shops!

Mercury ignition wiring help

Since I do not have, or can find the original control box, I am custom wiring everything myself. So far I have everything wired except for two wires.

I need to figure how the ignition is turned on/off.

Ive got the starter and everything wired right. Just need to know how to kill the motor once it is running.

I believe it has something to do with the yellow/black wire off the stator?