Re: Cannon Mag 10 question

It could also be the circuit board (internal), they can get fried for many reasons. I'm just sayin', it is good to have spares available too. If you have it looked at it might save you alot of hassel.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Quote Originally Posted by fishermankev View Post
    Ok, so you think about this and run down the list.

1) Doesn't sound like the cable from the socket to the battery, because it didn't work on any other of the known good sockets. Also, you say it did power in the down direction. So that would point to a failed switch or bad internal connection past the "up" pole on the switch. Easy enough to look at by pulling off the side cover.

2) But then it worked fine in your garage. Still could be the switch or a connection between the switch and the internal motor, but that seems less likely if it worked in your garage.

3) So one thing that still occurs to me. If your mag 10 has a short stop feature, the motor stops when the steel cable is no longer in the water. It works this way in part because the inner windings of the downrigger cablewire touch a screw on the spool. So one thought is that this contact has been broken, and although your cable was in the water, the downrigger thought it was not.

4) But that doesn't play out either. When the shorstop stops the ascent of the ball. it just stops it. It does not disable the downrigger, and if you hit "up again the downrigger will continue to pick up the cable. So assuming you tried the switch more than once, its likely not a shortstop problem.

5) So that points back to the switch or a wiring break betwen the switch and the internal motor. If you don't want top do it yourself, the guys at Fisherman's Warehouse are great with these. The flip side is that these are really simple units and are easy to service.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin
    Very detailed response Kevin. I appreciate it.

I was all ready to replace the switch the other day. I've had to replace one before in another unit in the past and yes it is pretty easy. But when it worked, I had to scratch my head. Most likely it is going out so I gotta get a spare......(and and crank).

Jon

------------DUKE--------------------- JON --------------------- BUSTER ----------------- TONI

1. I'm so ready to get my fingers pink...I can almost taste it.
    2. Fishing is my therapy.
    3. When all else fails....KISS it!

Ok, so you think about this and run down the list.

1) Doesn't sound like the cable from the socket to the battery, because it didn't work on any other of the known good sockets. Also, you say it did power in the down direction. So that would point to a failed switch or bad internal connection past the "up" pole on the switch. Easy enough to look at by pulling off the side cover.

2) But then it worked fine in your garage. Still could be the switch or a connection between the switch and the internal motor, but that seems less likely if it worked in your garage.

3) So one thing that still occurs to me. If your mag 10 has a short stop feature, the motor stops when the steel cable is no longer in the water. It works this way in part because the inner windings of the downrigger cablewire touch a screw on the spool. So one thought is that this contact has been broken, and although your cable was in the water, the downrigger thought it was not.

4) But that doesn't play out either. When the shorstop stops the ascent of the ball. it just stops it. It does not disable the downrigger, and if you hit "up again the downrigger will continue to pick up the cable. So assuming you tried the switch more than once, its likely not a shortstop problem.

5) So that points back to the switch or a wiring break betwen the switch and the internal motor. If you don't want top do it yourself, the guys at Fisherman's Warehouse are great with these. The flip side is that these are really simple units and are easy to service.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

Check your connection points and wires, I had to replace the wires from the socket to the battery this year. You can also have a handle on board for this reason, I got mine from Fisherman's Warehouse off Folsom Blvd. Just a small piece of plastic that comes in handy. Some fellas switch from wire to braid and the up/down get affected when doing that. The reset button works sometimes as well, but if you fear repairs go to Fisherman's Friend in Lodi or Frisherman's Warehouse they do Cannon stuff.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Cannon Mag 10 question

Last time I was at the lake and we were going to move to another spot, I flipped the switch to bring the DR ball back up....and nothing. The other 3 riggers came up with no problem, so I plug into one of the other outlets...still nothing.

It had power going down...just not up. Had to inch it up from 60 ft, since I don't have a crank on the boat.

Anyhow, I figured the switch went out and I was all ready to take it apart. Try it one more time in the garage and it works just like normal....WTHeck???

I remember that I had a battery problem on that same day....but why in the world would the other riggers work like normal and not this one.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I replace the switch just in case?

Jon

------------DUKE--------------------- JON --------------------- BUSTER ----------------- TONI

1. I'm so ready to get my fingers pink...I can almost taste it.
    2. Fishing is my therapy.
    3. When all else fails....KISS it!