Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: How wide can trailer be for towing?

I have some knowledge of hauling wide loads up to 12' wide but this is just from hiring a hauler and watching what happens.
    This is something you definitely need to hear about straight from the horses mouth, these guys have done a great job directing you to that horse. 8-)

This is the location for the valley division commercial office of CHP. Call them and ask for a commercial officer, they can answer your question. You will then know what is required. It will save you from a ticket.

Rancho Cordova (260)
    11336 Trade Center Drive
    Rancho Cordova, CA 95742-6233
    (916) 464-2090

I won't be surprised at all because states take keeping their infrastrucutre in good shape very seriously although in states like California it is a losing battle.

Thanks again guys. Just for giggles I typed in dmv.ca.gov because it is a similar suffix as the fish & game website and it worked. It doesn't have an answer to the question but I was able to e-mail it to them for Monday. I will see if they get back to me and be surprised if they do. I will let you know what they say if they do answer me.

Blog Entries
    Images

I think that if it's over 8'6", a moving permit is required, however, I've seen boats with 9' wide beams being towed without permits. I also think you can get an annual permit from DMV. Again the operative word is "I think" but what do I know, I like rope burns ;D

Sardine that is what this site is all about fellas like Toutfan can cover you at a whim, cause they have the knowledge or skills to complete the mission. I hope things go easy for you when towing your vehicle and you have a trailer car to keep the nuts from tailgate maddness...... Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Sardine
    Thanks guys. Looks like it can be towed if it's under 10,000 lbs. It is, 9500lbs. It don't say nothing about width though. It's a boat on a triple axle trailer. The boat is 11 feet wide I think but the trailer has tags on it so I presume I can tow it with my truck as long as the gvw is large enough which I think it is. Haven't checked yet. I will do that while you are reading this. Anyone know anything about the width limits? I would think that 11 feet is about as wide as can be towed? I have seen similar sized units going down the road in the past.
    If it's wider than 12' it's wider than a single standard lane and you should call the state office for the state you will be traveling in to get an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray
    Thanks Tony just too tired to dig.....Jetspray
    I could recite the laws in Nevada since that's a signficant part of what I do for a living and *states have most of the same laws since Highway specifications are prescribed by the Feds for all Federally funded Interstates and Highways which are part of the National Highway System (NHS), in case we ever get invaded and have to move military hardware across the country! ;D
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/

Thanks guys. Looks like it can be towed if it's under 10,000 lbs. It is, 9500lbs. It don't say nothing about width though. It's a boat on a triple axle trailer. The boat is 11 feet wide I think but the trailer has tags on it so I presume I can tow it with my truck as long as the gvw is large enough which I think it is. Haven't checked yet. I will do that while you are reading this. Anyone know anything about the width limits? I would think that 11 feet is about as wide as can be towed? I have seen similar sized units going down the road in the past.

Thanks Tony just too tired to dig.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast