Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Toast Master

Re: Sacramento River Fishing From Shore (emphasis on night fishing)

Quote Originally Posted by backy54 View Post
    you should try the deep channels in west sac. take 50 westbound toward west sac, exit jefferson, make a left. follow that road until u see the deep channels. i've always get good cats out there night fishing. nothing really big but you can find 1-3 lbs. good luck and welcome to sac.
    I just browsed the area on Google Maps. Do you park in what looks like a parking lot at Jefferson and South River Road or are you talking further down Jefferson?

Senior Toast Master

Aaaah you are all to kind. I've been hearing lots about Knights landing and will definately give that a go I think this Friday night. Though if any are curious about this evenings search for a fishing hole on the southern side of Sac (very southern) see below. It's 2:45am, got home bout 15 minutes ago, and have to be to work at 8:00am. I've had brighter ideas in my day...

BTW, I'll be giving that HWY 50 spot a try to so thanks for that as well!

So i just went down to the Georgianna Slough tonight. Closed after Dusk. yay. I also went down around Threemile and Sevenmile Slough. Sevenmile Slough is all owned by a private owner now so if anyone sends you out that way, get some darn good details. No fishing signs every where. Same seemed to be true with Threemile Slough in that area. Brannan Island State Rec part closes after Dusk as well but looks like it may allow access to the Threemile Slough during the day time.

Then there is the Cliff House Fishing Access. on hwy 160, just north of hwy 12. It doesn't have any posted signs of no night fishing, but it's all over grown and freakish at night (was out there at 11:30pm tonight). Was no way I was bounce'n around that bush alone at night. So as far as I can tell, the Sacramento River & Delta around Georgianna Slough down to Threemile/Sevenmile Slough is useless at night and will probably require a parking fee. Slightly frustrated with that area...

HEre is a picture for you to think about when you are out there and trying to catch your cats.

Quote Originally Posted by jackelmyer View Post
    I'm very new to fishing around Sacramento Ca. I've tried Lake Folsom but frankly I don't believe catfish actually exist there and it has me frustrated with anything that has the name "lake" in it. SO! RIVER! Sacramento River sounds good and sounds fun from what I've read. What I haven't been able to find are places to shore fish on the Sacramento River, especially Night Fishing. I live on the north side of Sacramento. Does any one have any guidance on where I can head to on the Sacramento River to do some fishing? I'm looking for Catfish currently and I'd like to catch something more than 1lb. Not had much luck in a random slough a friend pointed me to up off of Sacramento Ave (off hwy 99). Hoping to stick a little closer to Sacramento though.

Been searching around the net and what not for about 3 weeks. I guess I just haven't hit the magic "key phrase" to find good shore fishing holes around Sacramento.

The other question I had was what about tackle? I got a medium action pole (5-15lbs) and am using 15lb test line currently? Is that just silly stuff or am I alright for fishing the river. I heard that a 4oz pyramid slip rig would be a good way to hit the bottom and nab some catfish.

Thanks to anyone for advice! Much appriciated!
    Your friend pointed you to a good catfish hole.........Sutters bypass is a well known catfish spot and one of my favorites when it comes to catching " BIG " cats.
    Last edited by BIGG ANT; 08-09-2010 at 03:38 PM.

I know of the place you're talking about off of Sacramento ave and I ahvent caught any nice cats out of there. The only cats I've caught there were little mud cats. Have you thought about fishing the city ponds? They stock these regularly with cat in the 1-2 lb range and sometimes bigger. I think you should give the Verona area a try (by the airport) or knights landing. Knights landing definitly in a month or so should be good. The previous post said to try deep water channel, I'd use clams there as there are too many dink stripers over there this time of year and baits such as sardines would get hit soon as it hits the water.
    The tackle you have is suitable for catfishing. I've caught 7-8 pound cats on my ultralight rig with 4lb test at knights landing. You just have to adjust your drag right a know how to play with the fish. A 4oz weight would more than likely be to heavy for your rod, I'd say that 2ozs would be the biggest you should throw. You should throw the smallest weight you can get away with in my opinion. If you throw too big of a weight then when a fish bites, it'll be hard to set. When you set it, your rod will bend more from the excess weight and not give the hook enough power and motion to penetrate into the fish, or you might miss the fish altogether cause of the extra split second it takes to get to hook in motion. Besides, smaller weights are cheaper and the currents at this time of year ain't too bad. Hope this helps, good luck!

you should try the deep channels in west sac. take 50 westbound toward west sac, exit jefferson, make a left. follow that road until u see the deep channels. i've always get good cats out there night fishing. nothing really big but you can find 1-3 lbs. good luck and welcome to sac.

Senior Toast Master

Sacramento River Fishing From Shore (emphasis on night fishing)

I'm very new to fishing around Sacramento Ca. I've tried Lake Folsom but frankly I don't believe catfish actually exist there and it has me frustrated with anything that has the name "lake" in it. SO! RIVER! Sacramento River sounds good and sounds fun from what I've read. What I haven't been able to find are places to shore fish on the Sacramento River, especially Night Fishing. I live on the north side of Sacramento. Does any one have any guidance on where I can head to on the Sacramento River to do some fishing? I'm looking for Catfish currently and I'd like to catch something more than 1lb. Not had much luck in a random slough a friend pointed me to up off of Sacramento Ave (off hwy 99). Hoping to stick a little closer to Sacramento though.

Been searching around the net and what not for about 3 weeks. I guess I just haven't hit the magic "key phrase" to find good shore fishing holes around Sacramento.

The other question I had was what about tackle? I got a medium action pole (5-15lbs) and am using 15lb test line currently? Is that just silly stuff or am I alright for fishing the river. I heard that a 4oz pyramid slip rig would be a good way to hit the bottom and nab some catfish.

Thanks to anyone for advice! Much appriciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12