Re: trotline/jugging in california

Trotlining is good for the fisherman not so hot for swimmers or dog's playing in the water. If I go to the river and bank it I almost always find a line with to many hooks on it tied to a limb I toss the string in my trash bag and keep the terminal tackle if its nice. Jugging should be legal, where its legal you have to leave your name and info on the jugs.

California is real stingy on what they will let you put in the water, after all they only let you have 1 rod with your license. Although I'm kinda glad they don't allow trotline/jugs in CA, I hear the litter and abandoned lines are a real problem in Texas.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he takes all your fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Game View Post
    Jed, did any of those JUGS have XXX marked on them? (Sorry, you just teed it up for me)
    Big Game
    in case some of you are wondering what BG is referring to the XXX is what they put on a jug of Granny's corn squeez'n...so get your mind out of the.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    while i was out with a walleye guide on Bullshoels res in Missouri he asked me if it was alright to check his jugs on the way to the fishing site..i had the option of saying no because i was paying for the day, of course i said go right ahead... i knew it would be interesting. we pulled up to these jugs where he had put on a medium size bluegill and he was jugging for cats, unfortunately he didnt have any on the dozen we checked. the guide said some days all his jugs will have cats. I'm glad i said sure lets take the time because i asked what he did with the cats and he said he gives them to needy families in the local town that are having hard times.....sorry for the high jack.
    Jed, did any of those JUGS have XXX marked on them? (Sorry, you just teed it up for me)
    Big Game
    Fishing Defined: A Jerk on one end of a line waiting for a Jerk on the other.

while i was out with a walleye guide on Bullshoels res in Missouri he asked me if it was alright to check his jugs on the way to the fishing site..i had the option of saying no because i was paying for the day, of course i said go right ahead... i knew it would be interesting. we pulled up to these jugs where he had put on a medium size bluegill and he was jugging for cats, unfortunately he didnt have any on the dozen we checked. the guide said some days all his jugs will have cats. I'm glad i said sure lets take the time because i asked what he did with the cats and he said he gives them to needy families in the local town that are having hard times.....sorry for the high jack.

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

This pretty much sums it up. A rod and reel closely attended is required. There are a few exceptions for spear and bow fishing, and hand catching some bait fish species, but I think jugging is out.

2.00. Fishing Methods -- General.

• (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two rods in inland waters which regulations provide for the taking of fish by angling, except those waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special regulations for exceptions.

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - Fishing Methods and Gear Restrictions

Question trotline/jugging in california

I've been told by some game wardens that it is illegal, and by others that it is legal. I searched the word trotline on the dfg website and i got 0 search results. Also if anyone knows off hand where it talks about it in the regulations book that would be awsome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
    Nick145
    Trout = 05 (PB 6.10lbs) - Catfish = 00 (PB 11lbs) -
    Pan Fish = 00 - LMB = 00 (PB 5lbs) - SMB = 00 (PB 3lbs)
    Striper = 00 (PB 15lbs) - Sharks/Rays = 00
    TOTAL FISH FOR 2014 = 05
    FISHERMAN'S HONOR