Re: Port of Sacramento catfish sat??

we drive in every time and have never had an issue and i fish there atleast 3 times a month and sometimes a lot more. had the wardens pull up in a boat 2 trips ago and they asked if we were having fun and drove off. we even had a fire going. the spot i fish isnt technically the port i dont think. its the deep water channel leading to the port. i see people in there all the time in vehicles. i only literally drive on the levy road for like 10 feet once im on it and then i drive down to the water. pm me and i can give u exact directions if you want. my lady and i did drive up towards the port on the levee road and once you are closer to the actual port there are signs posted that say no tress/fishing/hunting. there arent any near where i fish though. i do very well on striper in this spot with live bait during the winter and with either live or cut bait the rest of the year. there is absolutely no snaggs at this spot either. there are sandbar type shelves that extend out about 20' then it drops off and when the tide is down there are clams everywhere. it gets deep fast too. i notice much more action as far as bait schools go in this spot compared to the barge canal access.

also, the clams are a lot of work. you need to crack open a lot of them and i let the meat sit in the sun for a couple hours to toughen up just a bit.

I think I know the area that you are talking about. I fished bass and cats there early fall, and yea it's much better bank fishing than the normal spots that everyone goes to. Never tried with clams though, I thought about doing it one time but I thought that those were the wrong type of clams because I pryed one open and there was less than a dime sized piece of meat in it.

Catch any stripers there by chance? I caught a few before december but only 1 keeper.

Also, do you drive up to your spot or do you walk to the port (like 1/4 mile). I asked a warden about that area before and he told me that it wasn't intended for people to roll through there to begin with and that I would be cited if I drove on the levee so I usually parked in the streets and biked into there. Most people seem to park before the levee, I guess the property owners never complained and I've seen people with their 4x4 roll through the farm to get to spots too.

yeah and thats with my old lady. she loves to fish also. i try to fish a few times a week. i live a mile and a half from sailor bar on the american and 20 minutes from the port and the sac river. before i had my kid i would hit the port from 6pm friday night and leave at around midnight the next night. i like to find spots i can pull up my truck and set up a mini camp. we build fires where its legal to do so and my girlfriend and i pick up trash everytime we go out and remove what we can when we can and my daughter is even starting to come out on trips and enjoying it. nothing better then hitting the port or anywhere there are fish all day and most of the night, catching bunches of fish and satisfying all of the fam at the same time. cant beat it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sac/Striper/Slayer View Post
    I am new on the forum but have been fishing for years. I fished for trout a lot when i was younger but have got into striper and catfish more lately. i fish the port a lot and do well on both striper and catfish. lately i have been having some of my best catfishing trips at the port even with this cold weather. my girlfriend and i fished 2 saturdays ago from 5pm until around 12:30 and caught around 20 catfish ranging from 1# to 5#. average was around 3#. we collected clams when the tide was down and the catfish couldnt resist the bait. i have a 2 pole stamp but decided to only go with one pole when i had double hook ups twice on both my poles. usually if i have live bait i fish one rod with that and the other with cut bait or clams. no striper action lately. in the last 3 trips over the last month fishing the same hours in the same exact spot we caught 11 the first time, 13 the second and 20 the last. the numbers arent as big for the cats as in the summer but the size average is much better.

i fish a 7' single piece medium heavy ugly stik catfish spinning rod with an okuma avenger 50 baitfeeder for bait and a 9' ugly stik spinning rod with the same reel for live bait. i usually catch striper on the live bait and catfish mostly on the cutbait this time of year. great cat spot. its not really a secret but there are some good spots to drive in. its a whole different world in the spots you can access away from the barge canal access. ive been skunked many times at the barge canal even at peak season and never at my new spots. thanks google earth. anyways, i will be out at the port on saturday from around 8am until around midnight. the bite usually dies then until around 4am. anyone wants to go catfishing sat should pm me.

crap man you'll be there from 8am till midnight??? thats 16hrs of fishing!!!!

Hook Port of Sacramento catfish sat??

I am new on the forum but have been fishing for years. I fished for trout a lot when i was younger but have got into striper and catfish more lately. i fish the port a lot and do well on both striper and catfish. lately i have been having some of my best catfishing trips at the port even with this cold weather. my girlfriend and i fished 2 saturdays ago from 5pm until around 12:30 and caught around 20 catfish ranging from 1# to 5#. average was around 3#. we collected clams when the tide was down and the catfish couldnt resist the bait. i have a 2 pole stamp but decided to only go with one pole when i had double hook ups twice on both my poles. usually if i have live bait i fish one rod with that and the other with cut bait or clams. no striper action lately. in the last 3 trips over the last month fishing the same hours in the same exact spot we caught 11 the first time, 13 the second and 20 the last. the numbers arent as big for the cats as in the summer but the size average is much better.

i fish a 7' single piece medium heavy ugly stik catfish spinning rod with an okuma avenger 50 baitfeeder for bait and a 9' ugly stik spinning rod with the same reel for live bait. i usually catch striper on the live bait and catfish mostly on the cutbait this time of year. great cat spot. its not really a secret but there are some good spots to drive in. its a whole different world in the spots you can access away from the barge canal access. ive been skunked many times at the barge canal even at peak season and never at my new spots. thanks google earth. anyways, i will be out at the port on saturday from around 8am until around midnight. the bite usually dies then until around 4am. anyone wants to go catfishing sat should pm me.