• 5 Post By FresnoJack
  • 1 Post By FresnoJack
  • 1 Post By rainbowkiller
  • 1 Post By Steve079
  • 1 Post By SF21

Thread: Another way to fish chicken livers

Blog Entries

Re: Another way to fish chicken livers

Here is the easiest way with out looking for silly medical supplies.

1.Get a threader (hook on one end, point on the other) you can make one from a coat hanger.

2.Tie your leader with your preferred brand and size of treble hook.

3.Thread the leader through the liver so that the leader goea straight through the middle of the liver piece.

4.OPTIONAL*Wrap the piece of liver with miracle thread, done.

(everyone should have a threader and miracle thread.(the elastic kind, not the regular sewing thread type)

When I first looked for that elastic mesh tubing, I went to my local neighborhood pharmacy. My pharmacist looked it up, Curad was the brand, and what I got was the size 1, which is 5/8". Probably what FJ is using. I buy my livers, bag them up in the tubing, then put them back in the tub. Ready to go.

I got a tip if you plan your trip ahead, this is fool proof. Get two tubs of livers and a reasonable size container, dump all the livers in the container and add chicken hearts. The hearts are tough as nails but are not packaged in the blood. Gizzards dont work as well but do produce. also its a good time to add a few other things to the recipe, ei; attractants, garlic oil, cheese. LET IT FESTER in the sun. when you put those hearts on hang on!

OH....I have also seen people cooking them in the sun on rocks until they get a jerky like texture. That doesn't work where I fish because that puts me in a war with yellow jackets.

btw thats a tip worth sharing keeping yellow jackets away from your bait lol
    Last edited by rainbowkiller; 06-28-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Images

Great tip. I fish Hensley lake at night and keeping the liver on is always a problem. Thanks.

Please let me know how you do.

I found that the mesh works well with macks and chovies that are too old or mushy to hook.

I use magic thread for other applications. A cheap alternative is generic elastic thread that can be found in the sewing section at Walmart, Rite Aid, etc. The thread is sold on a paper spindle for about one dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by artsfishin View Post
    I'm going to have to try that trick. I usually use magic thread but I think this might work better.
    David

"Where's the water? 2015 is just around the corner!"

I'm going to have to try that trick. I usually use magic thread but I think this might work better.

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoJack View Post
    I have been using one inch tubular elastic mesh to make small pouches to hold chicken liver. Easy to use, easy to hook and really keeps the liver on the hook. I can keep and cast the same piece of liver 2 or more times.

Tubular elastic mesh is used for bandages. The most common brand name is Surgiplast.

You can purchase 25 yards for about $10.00 on eBay.

If you want to try the mesh, look for "finger cots" at Rite Aide, Walgreens, etc. You can get a box of 4 for about $4.00. A box will have 4 tubes of regular gauze bandage and 4 elastic mesh tubes.

Here is a link to a video that details how to make and use the mesh pouches.
    The secret to keeping Chicken livers on your hook: Catch more Channel Catfish - YouTube

David

Great tip thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said "NO!" And the guy lived happily ever after and went fishing, hunting and drank beer and farted whenever he wanted. THE END

Another way to fish chicken livers

I have been using one inch tubular elastic mesh to make small pouches to hold chicken liver. Easy to use, easy to hook and really keeps the liver on the hook. I can keep and cast the same piece of liver 2 or more times.

Tubular elastic mesh is used for bandages. The most common brand name is Surgiplast.

You can purchase 25 yards for about $10.00 on eBay.

If you want to try the mesh, look for "finger cots" at Rite Aide, Walgreens, etc. You can get a box of 4 for about $4.00. A box will have 4 tubes of regular gauze bandage and 4 elastic mesh tubes.

Here is a link to a video that details how to make and use the mesh pouches.
    The secret to keeping Chicken livers on your hook: Catch more Channel Catfish - YouTube

David