Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Catfish bait from Walmart

Re: Catfish bait from Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding G&S Cheese Bait. I usually mix them with some rice flour, corn meal, and pro cure garlic. This will allow the bait to be thicker and can go straight on a single hook without any wire or all those fancy stuff...
    Elkhorn bait and tackle has it sometimes

I'm having a hard time finding G&S Cheese Bait. I usually mix them with some rice flour, corn meal, and pro cure garlic. This will allow the bait to be thicker and can go straight on a single hook without any wire or all those fancy stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf74 View Post
    I never really had any success with the stink baits they sell. I usually just end up with stinky hands and wasted money. But thats just me, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come up with any artificial baits that actually produce.
    Secret 7
    G&S cheese dip bait
    Danny kings punch bait
    Sonny's super sticky(regular)

When looking for those good tasty size channels......these baits produce results!!!!
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 07-14-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonsofun View Post
    I order some team catfish stink baits last year. I got both with dip tubes and treble hooks. I fished with them and havent heard any luck. how do you rig it? im rigging it off the bottom with a slider. Also I dont really seem to get that much punch bait on my treble hook. is that normal
    Fish your team catfish baits in some current.....not swift but moderate. The stuff works really well!!! I first tried it at sutters bypass and it works dam good on kittens in the 1 1/2-3# range. Another good stinky bait is G&S cheese dip bait

Dont mean to jack thread here but @Fresno you never had an issue with bites with the santee coop rig? Maybe its the clear water & High pressure lakes I fish but never do I get that many with that technique. Maybe it's my distancing Catfish do have poor eye sight. what distance are you setting your bobber from the hook? Thats why I opted to use the earplugs because I could just dip them too or soak them in attractant and get my elevation over any weed lines or snags. I believe the santee Cooper Rig was ,if my memory is correct here, actually just a drift rig. the float under a slow controlled drift would elevate the bait from the snags most us catfisherman are prone to fishing around while still keeping the ability to put little to no resistance on the bait. with a 3 way swivel during drift the bait is elevated but the weight can be felt, often times making the difference between 0 fish and 1. The overbite part is true but I have done a lot of sight fishing for catfish (very easy btw) and they have no problem going vertical if need be. From what I witnessed with my own two eyes, Catfish are very tenacious creatures and shark like. They tend to circle the bait before going in to grab it rubbing with the whiskers first. Ever foul hook a cat on the chin? They do also ambush which is amazing when it occurs! That has made me a jump a few times lol. The thing is the over bite, IMO, isn't a real factor in the water. When they strike they push X amount of gallons of water through the gills per lb of body mass and lift the bait up. I forget how many gallons but its pretty darn close to a LMB. That info came from Professor Klimley a biology professor I met fishing who teaches at UCDAVIS. In fact the first twitch in the line usually is the inhalation of water sucking the bait into the fishes mouth. I'm no expert just 24/8 avid catfisherman.

still the santee has been un productive for me in comparison to the other rigs I use.

Another method to add with the dip bait, since I may have threw the thread off, is try weightless if you can. I always prefer weightless whenever possible. the point is to put as little resistance on the bait as possible correct?

Try a Santee Cooper rig. To your basic slip sinker rig, add a float between the hook and swivel.

Channel catfish have an overbite. The theory is that the overbite makes it difficult for a channel cat to pick up a bait flat on the bottom. The SC rig solves the problem by holding the bait suspended above the bottom.

I use foam peg floats, sometimes called crappie floats. A 2 1/2 inch long float works fine,

Look for the slotted peg floats. You can add or remove the slotted type without having to cut and retie the leader.

You can even use the plain old red and white round bobbers. I make a simple loop in the leader and hook the brass pin through the loop and then back into the bottom holes of the the bobber. The loop helps prevent the line from slipping.

I fish punch bait under a slip bobber. I use sponge hooks I make myself from a felt hat cleaning sponge. Felt hat cleaners are much less dense than the typical kitchen sponges. They have much larger holes, which allow them to soak up and retain much more of the bait.

Store-bought sponge hooks are expensive, about .80 cents each. They are tied on el-cheapo brand X hooks.

A felt hat cleaning sponge costs about $1.50. From this I can make dozens of sponges and tie them on quality hooks.

You can find the sponges at western wear stores or on line.

I C&R most of my catfish and all of my carp. For this reason I prefer a J-style or Kahle hook.

Quote Originally Posted by tonsofun View Post
    I order some team catfish stink baits last year. I got both with dip tubes and treble hooks. I fished with them and havent heard any luck. how do you rig it? im rigging it off the bottom with a slider. Also I dont really seem to get that much punch bait on my treble hook. is that normal
    David

"Where's the water? 2015 is just around the corner!"

You want to thread the line through the tube and then tie on the treble hook. IMO take your treble hooks and put them in a bag somewhere, they hook fish but bleh. I personally use Circle hooks rigged in the tube. I AM A BIIIIIG FAN OF CIRCLE HOOKS FOR CATS THOUGH. Any how sliding sinker rig is perfect. Make sure to have an adequate leader. Here is a tip that I use; Before you tie your leader to the swivel use a needle and thread a few ear plugs to the leader line. ----ooo---- <- should look like that. this will keep the bait off the ground and burried in weeds or mud.

Now for the bait. This is easy you want it the consistency of peanut butter.

Also with the ear plug thing slide them down to the tube to hold it against the hook. Dip all of that in the bait. Ear plugs too. check it like power bait and make sure it floats then do your thing.

Tight lines PLAYA!

If your talking about the PREMO dip bait at walmart? Yes that bait works I have caught a TON of catfish on it and it doesnt wash off that easy. Cons its a stink bait not to many good sized cats on it. There are a few better dip baits for cats I would rather not give out that kinda info on the forum though. I can PM a few if you wish. After I talked a bit about a few of my catfishing spots I been noticing a crowd lately so no more info like that.

I never really had any success with the stink baits they sell. I usually just end up with stinky hands and wasted money. But thats just me, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come up with any artificial baits that actually produce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast