Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Smoked Pork shoulder

Re: Smoked Pork shoulder

Sorry Jetspray.... I meant to post back sooner. Mine is a gas unit too, you can see the supply line in one of the pics's

I just put lit briquets in the round chip pan. then put the smoke wood on top of that. the whole idea is to get the smoke into the meat, and let the oven finish it off. No gas assist!

Smoked Pork shoulder

Wow that looks good! Time to break out the smoker this weekend, thanks for motivating me

That smoker is similar to mine, but mine is gas. That is a great looking recipe for smoking and you took time to make sure it is right. Usually I need a couple of beers while watching the temperature gauges and time...........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

If I could only have one wood to smoke with, I'd choose apple. Very mild. Alder is good too. Oak is a bit stronger, but I was out of Apple.
    I would start with apple, then once you get the amount of smoke you like, try it with a couple other woods to see how the taste changes.
    I've found that Hiclory and Mesquite are just too strong for my taste, and I smoke for a bit less time with oak.
    The pork got a steady 2 hours of oak smoke, gave it nice flavor. Most of the smoke went into the fat cap, (which I did not trim off), so you can use all, some or none of it, as your taste dictates..
    The shoulder right out of the smoker needed more seasoning, my rub is light on salt, but that's just my preference. You can always add more salt, can't take a too salty flavor away though.

Last, those bags of near fist size hunks are about perfect. If they burst into flames, then you need to choke down the air supply, if that's not enough, then you can soak them. When using that size, you'll have to monitor the smoke, and add to it to get the smoke time you desire.

Good luck! Pork shoulder is an excellent meat to start with. Cheap, available and easy to work with.
    Last edited by Steve079; 02-10-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve079 View Post
    It's store bought. Pork and chicken are at a good price right now. Chicken quarters are .58 cents a pound. These are great for smoking. The dark meat really lends itself to the process. Same rub works for the chicken, and chicken tacos are the bomb!
    Using your smoker for just the two hours and finishing in the oven, makes it so much simpler. I think you will find it pretty easy. None of the timing is really critical, the pork is cooked at such low heat, you can't really overcook it, and its done when you can split it with a fork. Smaller roasts, less time. If you have a meat Thermometer, give it the fork test at 195. Easy.

The final result.

A little cheese, fresh cilantro, home made salsa , Guacamole, sour cream, and fresh tomato. I ate one on a flour, one on a corn tortilla. Damn, forgot the beer.
    Thanks Steve a great post. So good and easy to do,have you tryed any fruit woods with the pork?

Catkiller

Super Moderator
    Images

Thanks for the insight, Steve! It looks delicious...

Best,

The Big Kahuna

Looks delicious to say the least. I love that smoker got one myself plus a couple charcoal smokers
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

It's store bought. Pork and chicken are at a good price right now. Chicken quarters are .58 cents a pound. These are great for smoking. The dark meat really lends itself to the process. Same rub works for the chicken, and chicken tacos are the bomb!
    Using your smoker for just the two hours and finishing in the oven, makes it so much simpler. I think you will find it pretty easy. None of the timing is really critical, the pork is cooked at such low heat, you can't really overcook it, and its done when you can split it with a fork. Smaller roasts, less time. If you have a meat Thermometer, give it the fork test at 195. Easy.

The final result.

A little cheese, fresh cilantro, home made salsa , Guacamole, sour cream, and fresh tomato. I ate one on a flour, one on a corn tortilla. Damn, forgot the beer.
    Last edited by Steve079; 02-09-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Super Moderator
    Images

That's looking pretty awesome, Steve!

Is the meat from a pig you shot or just the farm-raised variety? I have only smoked fish in my smoker, but I think I'll do some pork soon because of your post. Your step by step directions make it look like I can do it.

Thanks!

aka SMOGGUY

Great Steve,an ya made us all hungry,an jealous!!!!.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast