Re: Cooking Mackinaw

Lake Tahoe macs taste great! you just need to know how to cook. fillet the fish..no skin. coat the filet with raging river dizzy pig dust. put the filet on the worlds best smoker (big green egg) over direct heat with a 300 degree dome temp. mix up a batch of mapple syrup and butter and put that on grill utill hot. baste the filit with syrup and put some more dizzy pig rub on. repeat on other side....this mack is greeeat!

metalmouth

spinfisher, I'll be listening on the radio for reports of that 30 lb. Mac!

I was convinced, after eating Lake Tahoe macks, that macks were for the garden only, but the big mack Doc caught at Flaming Gorge this summer was beyond delicious! Changed my whole perspective!

Tasted like good farm Atlantic Salmon (and, no, I don't think that's an oxymoron )

We just smoked the last tail fillet of that fish a week or so ago, and it was fine that way too.

I'm likely to even go out with Doc to fish for macks next FG-fest...

I'm with Doc and MM in that catching macks is fun but they are low on my favorite fish to eat list, too. However, just recently IT and I smoked a batch of macks in his new smoker and they were great.[smiley=chowtime.gif]

Here's a link with Lake trout recipes:

http://www.mackdays.com/lake_trout_recipes.htm

The eating quality of macs really depends on where they come from. *Macs from Hellhole or Flaming Gorge are not bad at all as long as you skin them and remove the belly and fat meat as MM said. *You can just fry them up like any trout or grill the larger ones as filets or steaks. *Tahoe macs are pretty flavorless with the exception of the larger ones (over 5 lb) which just taste bad (at least to me). *Tahoe macs also tend to have a rubbery texture unless they are just barely done.

They are OK smoked provided that the skin and belly are removed before brining them. *Tahoe macs make great gravlox, however. *You can Google up a few gravlox recipes for salmon. They work fine for macs.

metalmouth

They are. Make sure to remove the belly meat. It can be bitter. Might try filleting them rather than cooking them with the skin on. That improves the taste as well. Some people love them. Most I have eaten remind me of warm water tank planted bows. I'm addicted to hunting them, just not eating them. 8-)

CJC

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMouth
    Any recipe that you enjoy for Trout or Salmon will work for Mac's.

MM
    I have never tasted macs. Are they oily as trout and salmon are?

metalmouth

Roll them in tin foil with lemon, dill, onion, garlic, white wine, capers, and butter. When fully cooked discard fish and serve foil with marinade. *;D J/K Any recipe that you enjoy for Trout or Salmon will work for Mac's.

MM

Images

Cooking Mackinaw

Anyone have any suggestions on cooking Mackinaw.