Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By YoungAsianFisher
  • 2 Post By AnglingWes
  • 1 Post By dabalone

Thread: Striper's Migratory Patterns?

Re: Striper's Migratory Patterns?

the schedule is about right. but there are always going to be stragglers hanging out wherever any time of year. so you can fish for them, and find them in places they are not "supposed to be".
    but fishing is kind of a numbers game, at times there is a higher probability to catch them in one spot than others. when probability is low, fish for something else, or go somewhere else.

without giving away too much info, i will just say fall in the delta is an amazing experience

Thanks for your insight slow, I definitely hope I don't go nuts trying to figure out their migratory pattern. In other words, migratory patterns are somewhat important but either way I should just go out and give it a shot! All in all, thanks to all of the sniffers contributing to this, whenever I have free time I'll just go out there and hope I land a keeper, and if it's a skunk then it's a skunk, plenty of fish out there either way. -YAF

YAF,

Imho, you'd be safe on board with the advice/beliefs posted, so, instead of adding a personal tweek here or there, I'll suggest the following:

"Learn the runs in and out of the delta, through the bay and into the blue. Then, stop thinking too much about the schedule."

As dabalone mentioned, stripers like to eat way too much to rely on one single source. I'd strongly suggest that far too often people below the delta, state, "they ain't here." However, it's not a scheduling problem, but rather an issue of what the stripers are eating or not.

Yes; they are aggressive predators and there are times when almost anything thrown in thier direction will produce a strike. However, I think, it's far more the case that the difference between catching and not isn't the result of 'knowing' the striper schedule; it's knowing what they're hunting. It's this clue that nearly dictates where in the water column and where in the body of water a bait should be presented, how it should be presented if artificial and what time, day or night, that it should be presented.

In other words, I've never seen a pileworm hatch during the day or mudsucker or bull head swimming near the middle of the water column, or chovies or smelt that were sitting on the bottom. That doesn't mean that stripers aren't caught on the above mentioned; it just means that a hungry striper happened to swim by an need a quick meal.

The first bottom line for me is: I like to consistantly catch stripers,,,all year long,,,for twelve months out of the year. The schedule says I can't. So, I don't follow it, but still catch fish, so there must be something more going on than "knowing" the schedule.

The second bottom line for me is: I long ago lost my mind trying to figure out these fish, so go ahead and forget what I wrote. I'm sure Striper Reality will soon slap me up-side the head.

Good luck bro.

The "runs" of fish are adults, really only one main "run" for adult stripers and that is the spring spawn. Small numbers of adult fish may remain in the river system year round but the other so called run or runs is seasonal migrations following their main food supplies. Summer is spent mostly in the bay and some move out into the ocean along the coast, all of them are chasing schools of anchovies, sardines etc. Fall they begin moving into the Delta and lower river following the schools of threadfin shad, often trapping them in the dead end sloughs and probably move in and out of it depending on food supplies. By Winter they are staging in the Delta for their spring spawn run again. I begin catching them in the rivers as early as March depending on the Winter runoff. Stripers are very aggressive predators and do not depend on just one or two food sources, they can and will eat almost anything and why you can find some just about anywhere year round. Disclaimer: Nothing scientific about my post, just feedback from years of catching these great fish.

My understanding is there are several runs, but the fall run is the largest in numbers so it becomes the most significant run

Thanks for the additional info Wes! When you say the "bottleneck" areas of the delta do you mean Franks Tract, RioVista? That general area resembles a bottle neck to me unless Carquinez Strait side is the bottle neck :O But either way thanks a lot for pointing me on the right direction Wes. At least I'm not COMPLETELY clueless upon the general location they're located at!

Team Fish Sniffer
    Images

Striper's Migratory Patterns?

Your summary of the pattern is pretty close. The wild card that confuses things is that there is a fairly large population of resident fish that do not migrate back out to the ocean, so you can catch stripers all year in the Delta and Valley. The resident fish also have migratory patterns from one location to another on top of the ocean stripes.

The stripes are starting to show up in numbers in the bottleneck areas of the delta. This is always a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by AnglingWes; 08-18-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Striper's Migratory Patterns?

Hey fellow Sniffers, I'm aware that Stripers are anadromous so they travel from ocean to delta and vice versa. But what I would like to confirm where they're migrating to/from during each season. I was told during spring, they're usually spawning or have spawned and make their way down the delta, during summer they're located in the bay and heading out the the ocean. Fall, they enter the bay from the ocean and prepare to head up to the delta and finally winter, they should be in the delta except for a few loners stranded in the bay correct? Right now it's the end of August so that means fall is right around the corner but striper season is a little off, correct me if I'm wrong. But apparently stripers are still moving down from the delta? I just want to keep up with their migratory pattern so I have a chance of catching one without having to travel far for nothing but from the reports so far, I'm getting confused. x_x