Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hook Size For Bay Sharks??

well i got an 18'6" fourwinns open bow with 150 evinrude..27 gal tank..should be ok right...ive launched once a couple yrs back in san rafeal lock lamond?? maybe not sure we went by berkly, toward oakland and ended up in s p b catching lil brownish sharks and my buddy did cnr a 3ft leopard..so the area we were in is throughout that day was sufficient then?

Slayer of Fish

I launch out of Berkeley and it's pretty easy to get to the south bay (south of the bay bridge), Angel island, treasure island and alcatraz. If you're coming from Woodland I'd try to launch North so you don't have to pay the bridge tolls. Assuming you have a boat that has a decent sized gas tank.

For that matter you can launch in San Pablo bay and fish that area for leopards as well. I haven't tried that but I've seen reports of guys getting into leopards there as well.

My buddy caught a 5' seven gill on grass shrimp last year fishing for Leopards. Can't be mad at that

Quote Originally Posted by 530Fisher View Post
    i was hoping u'd chime in!! ya leopards are fine. it seems mist of u guys who fish leopards get other kinds of shark aswell ...where do u launch and what do u look for out there..not lookin for ur spot just how to get into fishy water..i did just buy 100 6/0 circle and i alrrady have the wire...thanks alot for ur help

As far as rigs go , last years sturgeon rigs will work fine. I imagine the bait shops may have these available for cheap. For launching. The question is how far can you run in your boat? Best spot this time of year is going to be in the southbay or around the bay bridge. A close launch to the fishing grounds would be oyster point but since it looks like your coming from up north maybe you dont want to drive that far. If you got a boat that will get you across the bay safely then maybe launch from berkeley and shoot over to the southbay or launch in sausalito and fish around angel island or paradise. Lots of options with the sharks.
    Good luck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 530Fisher View Post
    i was hoping u'd chime in!! ya leopards are fine. it seems mist of u guys who fish leopards get other kinds of shark aswell ...where do u launch and what do u look for out there..not lookin for ur spot just how to get into fishy water..i did just buy 100 6/0 circle and i alrrady have the wire...thanks alot for ur help

Circle hooks work best

Slayer of Fish

Hook Size For Bay Sharks??

What type of shark? I use 5/0 and 6/0 barbless circle hooks with 75lb steel for leopards.

If you're fishing BIG cow or 7 gill then I'm not really sure. I haven't done that before. Summer of '13 is coming though!!

Hook Size For Bay Sharks??

Im trying to gear up for a future bay shark trip and cant find any info regaurding hook restrictions..ect..so far im gathering a circle hook 8/0-12/0 with 60-120lb wire leader..is this good,not enough,overkill??? help if u can please,thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12