Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Surf perch at night

The south jetty is the one closest to the power plant looking thing rite? or the one on the right hand side of the pic. if not please inform me. THanks a lot. It seems like this place is a great fishing spot from what CenCoastAngler says. I hope it is cuz i want to catch a lepord shark and i wanna watch some surfperch. ;D

Regarding Moss Landing rock jetties----For surfperch, try casting along the contour of the beach southwards from the south jetty, in the whitewash. You can also cast parallel to the shore from the north jetty if you cast northward--but I've had better luck from the south jetty. You can also catch perch by casting along the inside of the jetties, in the channel if there is enough swell. There are plenty of little rockfish packed in between the rocks that form the jetty, even lingcod---toss calamari in close to the rocks near the end of either jetty. If you cast further into the channel youy might catch a shark, ray, halibut, flounder, or striper---or anything else that might be out there. For perch, I'd try bloodworms or pileworms or just plastic grubs. You can get good bait from the corner liquor store in Moss. If the swell is small, you can use whole anchovies or sardines but otherwise, I'd use calamari or shrimp.
    I'll probably go out there this wknd if I'm in town.
    PK

Quote Originally Posted by CenCoast_Angler
    The rock jetties at Moss Landing can be GREAT at night for a number of fish---perch, flatfish, rays, leopards, and even stripers. If you want sharks and rays, try Kirby park in elkhorn slough -- I'm not sure if it is open at night but it probably is. Also, the liquor store on the corner, *right off HWY 1, is the only place around here to get good bait--they usually have bloodworms AND pileworms. Pileworms work better but unfortunately fall off easier too.
    Good luck and bring a beanie,
    PK

Is the jetty right next to the beach in moss landing? also can i catch some fish if i go rite now or is there nothing there. and isnt across the jetty another one so should i cast toward the other jetty or out toward the ocean. thanks

fished today wensday santa cruz....
    from san lorenzo rivermouth to the wharf
    and back for only one barbed perch....
    worked it for 2hrs and used all rubber grubs
    the motoroil w/red flecks and grn/flecks
    also added a shrimp sent to it.....
    fun just not as many fishs as I hoped for....

also threw some chrome krocks to just to see if
    any early steelhead were cruis'n the area....nada

It was some time ago, but I have caught some nice barred perch at night. I only did it once while camping at lawsons landing at dillion beach. It was a little erie and crazy. Alone at night trying to fish and hearing the waves crashing,and no sense of size. Also managing to holding a flash light and rod at the same time. I was using blood worms at the time.

Hey recs.
    When you going out. I want to see how you do it. I'm up for night fishing. I don't care what type of fish on the surf just to get anything would be cool for me. If you are going to the bay let me know I will try to make it out.

MasterBaiter I have caught most of my perch at night. The only thing is they weren't surf perch :-/ . I have caught all other species of perch at night, rubberlip, wallyeye, pile just to name a few, just never went grubbing for surf perch at night. Most of my fish have been caught during a late/early morning minus tide off of some of the piers in the bay.

The rock jetties at Moss Landing can be GREAT at night for a number of fish---perch, flatfish, rays, leopards, and even stripers. If you want sharks and rays, try Kirby park in elkhorn slough -- I'm not sure if it is open at night but it probably is. Also, the liquor store on the corner, right off HWY 1, is the only place around here to get good bait--they usually have bloodworms AND pileworms. Pileworms work better but unfortunately fall off easier too.
    Good luck and bring a beanie,
    PK

Hopper, what kinda bait was your buddy using? I've never caught perch at night, but then again I mostly use lures...they probably can't see em With everything else just about over locally I'm probably gonna hit up the perch for a while, least until April.

Cool thanks. that is the time I like to fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast