Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Does fishing Pacifica Pier require license?

OK OK, now that we know the pier is FREE, hows the fishing.

The last I was in Pacifica I fished the Surf Stripers (a licese IS required on the beach, I have mine!) This was super fun and a real work out. BUT VERY FUN!!!

Prior to this I had fished the pacifica pier for salmon more than a few times, and I've been waiting for them again this year. I have not heard of anyone catching good numbers of salmon from the pier this year, but that maybe because all the "Pilipino Klan" (Im not diss'ing anyone, infact: All these guys are cool, very helpfull and knowledgable.) has been fishing the surf stripers, you can read thier posts on the Striper Board, there are about 140 PAGES of posts JUST FROM THIS YEAR. It was fun and got me to try Surf Stripering on three seperate occations.

Now for the Salmon at the pier. The only rules I know of was that you had to have barbless hooks, and that you had to cast underhand, so as not to stab someone with your lead which by the way has "hard wire" sticking out of it which helps it grabs the sand. (It's scarry when the pier is packed elbow to elbow and people are casting overhead, WATCH OUT !! when the salmon are in the pier is packed every day )

Also since this thread is about Pacifica, I am wondering if anyone has launched a small boat from the beach and fished in front of the pier. I have a small Zodiac (10 footer) which I could possiblly beach launch if I knew where to do it. I have surfed this area and believe it should be possible if I watch the breaker waves and stay outside of them, and ALSO I MUST MUST pick a good spot to get back out of the water.

Any advice or info would be helpfull.
    Thanks,
    -A

That's what the other pink copy is for I believe.
    It says "Application for Duplicate Resident Sport Fishing License."

Per Pacifica Pier, I've talked with the ranger(?) at the pier last year and he assured me that I don't need a license on any public pier in CA, including Pacifica....

About every other year I'd lose my license. I've left it on someone's boat, dropped it into ocean, or just simply misplaced it somewhere and had to shell out a little money to get replacements. So I'm reluctant to get life time licenses.

What's the replacement policy if you lose a life time license?

just don't kick the bucket before you payed off the fees in years.
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

with the current cost for lifetime license it'll take at least 16years.

on another note, just red about NJ not requiring license for saltwater fishing. perhaps they can do that here ;D

lifetime license

I have a lifetime license. When I bought it in 2001 the price was $495. I paid an extra $150 for lifetime stamps, report cards, etc. Since then, the prices have increased dramatically...like everything else in Cali.

I did the math and it added up to about 13 years worth of annual licenses. So...I will be fishing for free after age 38. If I make it to 38...AND if I still live in California.

I am NOT rich and it really hurt my wallet to shell out so much cash for something that I didn't really need. But either way, it was worth it. I am now very satisfied with my purchase. Truthfuly, I don't know exactly where the money/profit goes but I'm confident it goes toward something that we, as anglers, all benefit from.

If you're considering getting a lifetime license, you should do it. What do you have to lose? Seems like a win-win situation to me.

PK
    ps---No, I don't work for the DFG.

I say if you can afford to get a license go get one. Money goes to improving our fishing resources. Annual license is cheaper. Better yet, if you really "can-afford" why not get a lifetime license Put off your plans to buy a new rod and reel (Gloomis and Shimano) and go get a lifetime license... ;D

Just curious, anybody got a lifetime license?

What would really hurt is the money you paid for a license probably pays the salary of a DFG official that would later site you for at least a $100 for casting at Pacifica Pier. :'( ;D ;D ;D

When I first moved here from Arizona and was waiting out my 6 months before I could buy a fishing license at the resident rate, I fished the piers exclusively because it was free. During that time I was checked by Game and Fish twice while walking to my car with my catch. Both times they checked to be sure I wasn't taking fish that were illegal/undersized/or too many. After verifying that I was in fact legal, they told me "nice catch, have a nice day."

Don't let the naysayers scare you away from fishing legally from the pier without a license. Know the regs and you have nothing to fear. In fact, taking out of state guests and newbie fishermen to piers is the best way there is to introduce someone to fishing in the area. It requires no cost to them and easy access. I have some friends that are serious fishermen, and they buy 2 day permits so we can fish other areas. I also have friends that just want to soak bait and look at the ocean. The piers are perfect for them.

Also this post is a good example of people who obviously don't know the rules but try to offer friendly advice anyhow. Be careful with that. One approach I would use is to read the rules and then post the section you have questions about, asking if anybody has any clarification.

be careful. even though you may "legally" catch a fish from p-town pier.you may be stopped on the way to your car.where you may have some splaining to do.

a simple anser..from what I know is that you do not need a license from pacifica Pier. don't take the fish to shore but off the pier no. you could also hit up oyster point and get alot of sharks off that pier without a license. sting rays and other stuff. off any of the piers here you can fish without a license unless they have changed things but I don't think they have.
    good luck. its easier to fish the bay then the ocean for out of towner's in my opinion you will get more fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast