aka SMOGGUY

Re: Brannan Island boat launch

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyHustle View Post
    This should be an adventure this weekend. It's the 65th annual Rio Vista bass derby. Totally not expecting that on a Friday. Yikes!!
    Launching may be a problem then.Good luck ...Don

Slayer of Fish

This should be an adventure this weekend. It's the 65th annual Rio Vista bass derby. Totally not expecting that on a Friday. Yikes!!

Slayer of Fish

Brannan Island boat launch

Thank you gentlemen. I think this is where I'll be launching tomorrow morning. Huge fan of plenty of wide open launch ramps. Now if I could just avoid the $15 bridge toll....

aka SMOGGUY

Wow Dale,my first time there was at the PH fest so what I saw seemed normal compared to the dry brown foothill lakes,I can see it would be a much pettier place if it was all green.
    I camped by the camp hosts MH an the area an bathrooms/showers seemed clean an all worked,guess If I would of been there in the past I would have noticed more of the difference,got any pics???.....Don

The launch ramp is 10 lane and is superb. Best around and near new. But the host used to "guard" the area is long gone now that the management company has taken over. I don't know if another is planned.

The campgrounds are another story. I stayed there two weeks ago for three nights - in the RV section just above the berths for overnight docking.

The campgrounds have been ignored for far too long. All the grass is dead except the relatively small RV area. Maintenance of the place has been nearly zero for far too long. Two very tall flood lights that should illumine the overnight docks burned out long ago and it's pitch black all night long.

I'll not camp there again 'til the state puts some money into it. The new management company is doing their best, but they can't make decisions about how much money is spent and where. The camp host advised me that the state park police no longer patrol the place but that the Highway Patrol drives through daily.

The good news is that the launch ramps are essentially 24/7 and no longer closed in the middle of the week.
    Last edited by FishWisher; 10-11-2012 at 04:35 AM.
    Dale ...held in Kalifornistan against my will.

Fishing Site: www.FishWisher.com
    RV Site: http://CoachPotatosRVsite.synthasite.com/

I've got...

I was just there on Sunday. I asked the woman at the front booth when the gates close, and she said they don't close the gates. Ever since the private company took it over the place is open every day but the price has gone up. $13 to launch not sure about price for camping.

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by delta916 View Post
    There's a campground there as well. I don't think I've ever seen that gate closed. I know I have taken out there in the middle of the night with no problem. It has been a long time since I've done that but with the campground I would think the gate is always open. Just be sure and use the Iron ranger so you don't get a ticket.
    + 1,real nice campgrounds an ramps...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyHustle View Post
    I'm headed to the Rio Vista area on Friday and I'm trying to avoid the small launch/big crowd party. I looked up Brannon island and it says its open from sunrise to sunset. Anyone know the exact hours?

I'm trying to possibly launch right before daylight and may stay out until dark. I'd really prefer not to get stuck overnight.

Thoughts?
    There's a campground there as well. I don't think I've ever seen that gate closed. I know I have taken out there in the middle of the night with no problem. It has been a long time since I've done that but with the campground I would think the gate is always open. Just be sure and use the Iron ranger so you don't get a ticket.
    A veteran - Whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is an Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Slayer of Fish

Brannan Island boat launch

I'm headed to the Rio Vista area on Friday and I'm trying to avoid the small launch/big crowd party. I looked up Brannon island and it says its open from sunrise to sunset. Anyone know the exact hours?

I'm trying to possibly launch right before daylight and may stay out until dark. I'd really prefer not to get stuck overnight.

Thoughts?