Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Sea lion spotted below Watt.

"Old Man's Gold"

Re: Sea lion spotted below Watt.

Awww dang... The sniffer scientists are on the lookout. I've enjoyed this thread. It was stimulating to the mind. Almost like national geographic and presidential debates combined.

Here's Doug's posting on the Informative Fisherman striper video. It has footage of a sea lion and human battle. Human won. Score!

Thread:

Bait Fishing For Stripers Video
    "I'm sorry about your father, but that was Koreans... I'm an American."
    -Jason Scott Lee, Dragon the Bruce Lee Story

Doug McArthur, Team Mc Fishing = A+

I've saw the sea lion catching beat up salmon day after day on those week that I fish everyday. I don't fish as much anymore so my citing has been on the decline.

"If you're not snagging, you're not at the strike zone. I lose 1 to 4 spoons every 2 1/2 weeks"

I had that problem while I was fighting a salmon sea lion came and jacked it. Many times while I hung stripers on side of the boat and sea lion sneak up and took all my catches.

"If you're not snagging, you're not at the strike zone. I lose 1 to 4 spoons every 2 1/2 weeks"

The ones you see in the river are the smart sea lions. They've learned to adapt to changes and venture out to new areas to find food.

Blog Entries

I think it has more to do with the Sea Lion population than it does the Salmon population. Sea Lions have been federally protected for years...their population has exploded and now there is more competition for food. They have to get creative to find new food sources, and anyone likes an easy meal, so they find their way to places like the Ballard Locks on the Columbia River, and now the AR. I don't think one Sea Lion will be a huge deal (although it can kill the Steelhead fishing when they get spooked), but if it becomes a trend and more of them show up, it will become a problem DFG has to deal with.

Sea lion spotted below Watt.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
    People have to realize that sea lions don't eat the fish, just their favorite parts. You will see salmon with their bellies eaten floating in the water. One sea lion can and will kill upwards of 100 fish a day.
    And Matt maybe only 1

People have to realize that sea lions don't eat the fish, just their favorite parts. You will see salmon with their bellies eaten floating in the water. One sea lion can and will kill upwards of 100 fish a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
    Soooo.....does anyone here actually believe that there were NO sea lions feasting on the spawning salmon before white people were here?????

Kern County Water District says that all white people should be removed from CA immediately and more water sent south.

Dams and then levees channelizing the waterways makes it easy for them to get upstream.

My son and I followed a large sea lion up Hog slough one morning, he slowly worked his way up the slough and almost every time he went down he came up with a catfish. He bit everyone of them off in the same place everytime, right behind the horned fins and let the rest go. Most still had the air bladder intact so as we went by the floating heads we got an idea of their size, some looked to be in the five pound range. We watched him bring up and eat probably seven fish before we turned back and he was still diving and feeding when we left. Seagulls were keyed in on the floating heads. After watching I was impressed with how efficient this critter was at catching these catfish, it was effortless for him.

CDK

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    Sounds good to me. I will have the arrows if that day came you got the barbeque.
    Sea lion jerky?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast