• 1 Post By siskiyoufisherman
  • 2 Post By KAYAK4FISH
  • 1 Post By siskiyoufisherman
  • 1 Post By redneckpunk

Thread: Bass Boat Sparkles

Professional and Courteous

Re: Bass Boat Sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by KAYAK4FISH View Post
    As one who did glass and gel repair ( and was damn good at it) for many years in Sac. There is ONE shop who made me look like a rookie Morrison Marine off Coloma in Rancho. I hope the economy has not shut him down because he is the best and a standup guy.
    Steve
    Was still there last week when I drove by, on Gold River just south of Coloma

Quote Originally Posted by siskiyoufisherman View Post
    kayak, you do nice work too.
    Thank you, I never had the huevos to take on a metal flake/ polyflake job though. That poor boat only had 20 hrs on it and I think it was at New Melones in the late 90's when the marina broke loose in a storm and everything beat against everything for a long time. That pic was after I did some cutting to make a lil mold to help stay straight and make the radius'.

kayak, you do nice work too.

I kind of enjoy showing off my old work, especially since I was self taught. Hope the facebook link works for my pic. This was taken at the old "Sacramento Boat Emporium" on Pyrites way.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by dabalone View Post
    Perfection is subjective, chasing 100% results will be elusive and frustrating.
    That is so true with gel coat!!!

Perfection is subjective, chasing 100% results will be elusive and frustrating.

As one who did glass and gel repair ( and was damn good at it) for many years in Sac. There is ONE shop who made me look like a rookie Morrison Marine off Coloma in Rancho. I hope the economy has not shut him down because he is the best and a standup guy.
    Steve

Blog Entries

95% perfection is pretty danged good! I know only a few shops that can hit that mark with that type of finish. I've only seen it closer on single color gel coat and then it's two part epoxy paint (Interlux) over a West Systems thickened epoxy fill.

Bass Boat Sparkles

Where does everybody go to get there scratches fixed on there boat when it gauges through three different colors and stripes with heavy sparkle? A boat paint is done the opposite a car. On a boat, it is built in a mold and the clear goes on first then the sparkle then the stripes then the color than the fiberglass. I have worked in auto restoration and collision shops for 35 years and have been repairing my own and can still only get about 95% perfection. 
    Last edited by siskiyoufisherman; 02-11-2013 at 04:46 PM.