Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: How to slow down my trolling speed ?

West Marine sells a variable pitch prop. You adjust the prop pitch with an allen wrench. These allows you to change prop pitch in a matter of minutes without changing the prop its self. You also get extra blades.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=

steve

I troll quite a bit and have found that to slow the speed down lower than the motor can idle I use the power trim switch and raise the motor a few degrees until I get to the desired speed. Works very well in my boat....

Chuck

Don

I'm with you on that Fisher King. My trolling is never below 1.5.,But with a trolling plat you can mantain that low speed bat at a high rpm to keep those biggsr motors from loading up
    On my 85 Mercury 2 stroke it will load up at thouse low rpms so a trolling plate will help there also
    Don

food for thought.......

an absolute no-cost way of slowing your boat.......is to take me fishing with you ! ........with an added 300 lbs of ballast, i guarantee i'll slow your boat down !! ;D

krazybob,

everyone telling you to buy more things to change your speed. I fish exclusively with a 15 hp. kicker motor. I typically run 1.6 to 2.4 mph. I catch many, many fish. You don't need to go any slower than 1.6.

Fish with lures & dodgers (not flashers).. The range of speed you are at is perfect.... Many people say you need to troll slower for kokanee. I have not found this to be true....

Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by crank bait
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0000918010961a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=trolling+plate&N=48 87&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty= 1&Ntt=trolling+plate&noImage=0

i just purchased one of these from cabelas. absolutely outstanding !
    many people hate the cord, but what you gain in manuverability and how easily your boat will reverse....especially around the docks....it's money well spent. having the automatic spring version....is ok, but you lose your immediate low end torque until the boat picks up speed to push the plate open. also having the plate automatically in the down position when you need to reverse suddenly....is just unsafe.
    using the trolling socks or bucks to slow down is an accident waiting to happen. i would rather pull a sparkplug wire before using them.
    .....also....this new unit gave me a couple of mph increase overall vs. my auto spring. (it also looks pretty cool in the up position going down the road) *
    Mine is about the same thing, except it is black. It was made by a company called Tempress, and it was called "Fishon Troller" I see that they no longer carry it on their web site. The model you have, has two sizes, which Tempress didn't offer.
    Kraz~

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&noImage=0

i just purchased one of these from cabelas. absolutely outstanding !
    many people hate the cord, but what you gain in manuverability and how easily your boat will reverse....especially around the docks....it's money well spent. having the automatic spring version....is ok, but you lose your immediate low end torque until the boat picks up speed to push the plate open. also having the plate automatically in the down position when you need to reverse suddenly....is just unsafe.
    using the trolling socks or bucks to slow down is an accident waiting to happen. i would rather pull a sparkplug wire before using them.
    .....also....this new unit gave me a couple of mph increase overall vs. my auto spring. (it also looks pretty cool in the up position going down the road)

krazybob; How big is the trolling plate you bought compared to the diameter of your prop? I have used a Trol-A-Matic (Cabela's $69.99) with great success. No pins to break and no pull string, it is spring loaded and probably won't effect your top end speed. I think it would get you down to about 1.1 or 1.0 mph.

ODDIE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
    Some people just get a second prop for trolling...............
    Another idea ! Like maybe a 6" two bladed prop would do it ;D Actually a smaller prop is worth considering, because of the fact that 95% of my time on the water is at slow speed unless I want to get to another fishing spot. Of course when the grandkids come, a change would have to be made, since they want to go fast in that tube!! Faster, faster grandpa !! :
    Kraz~

Some people just get a second prop for trolling...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast