Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Looking for a Trout Pond *or Fish Farm?

You could also check out the Fishing In The City Program in your locality.
    Here is the link for Santa Clara County's: http://www.parkhere.org/portal/site/...tcurrchannel=1

Quote Originally Posted by bretmoua
    I didn't realize fishing was allowed at fish farms. *Now are fish farms the same as hatcheries where they raise fish as well? *I wouldn't mind taking my daughters ranging from 6-11 to something like that where they'll really enjoy fishing. *Any good farms around the Fresno area?
    A hatchery is runed by the state(or something) and grows fish and releases them to waters that need a steady poplutation.
    A fish farm is a private owned business that grows their own fish and sells to lake, etc. They sometimes have there own pond that allows people to fish them But the charge a fee.
    This is my definitions or the two but i might by wrong. :PIf i am can someone correct me.

I think the closest trout pond to Fresno would be the Springfeild trout farm. Its a nice place. they charge 1.50 for something less than 13in and 5.00 for anything above.and they go up to 5pounds and you dont need a lisense to fish. *

Other place that have trout ponds not mention yet are alpers and apple hill.

Blog Entries

I didn't realize fishing was allowed at fish farms. Now are fish farms the same as hatcheries where they raise fish as well? I wouldn't mind taking my daughters ranging from 6-11 to something like that where they'll really enjoy fishing. Any good farms around the Fresno area?

Re: Looking for a Trout Pond  or Fish Farm?

Quote Originally Posted by JPFX
    I 2nd Setevo's post. The one in Columbia (near Jamestow/Sonora @ 1hr 15 min East of Stockton/Modesto) is pretty cool. I guess it's what you want. If you want the little guy to hook onto a decent size rainbow within 15 seconds of tossing in the line...go to Springfield in Columbia. They will also love the candy store in Columbia. And maybe see if the Old West Cowboy act is going on in the streets...kids love that. On the way back you could take a slight detour and hit the Fish & Game fish hatchery just past Don Pedro. It's row after row of fish ponds with starving trout that you can feed. The 1st pond you get to has nothing but 4-5+ pound rainbow, brooks, and germans...PIGS! My daughter liked feeding those fish better than catching 'em at the trout farm in Stevenson.
    I would second that. We took the kids there several years ago and they had a ball. Its a great way to get them started and to generate enough interest to try stream or lake fishing where they will have to work a bit for the fish.

I 2nd Setevo's post. The one in Columbia (near Jamestow/Sonora @ 1hr 15 min East of Stockton/Modesto) is pretty cool. I guess it's what you want. If you want the little guy to hook onto a decent size rainbow within 15 seconds of tossing in the line...go to Springfield in Columbia. They will also love the candy store in Columbia. And maybe see if the Old West Cowboy act is going on in the streets...kids love that. On the way back you could take a slight detour and hit the Fish & Game fish hatchery just past Don Pedro. It's row after row of fish ponds with starving trout that you can feed. The 1st pond you get to has nothing but 4-5+ pound rainbow, brooks, and germans...PIGS! My daughter liked feeding those fish better than catching 'em at the trout farm in Stevenson.

you might try the pond at Oak Grove Park in Stockton believe it is run by San Joaquin county or there are a couple of parks in Sacramento county that have ponds that are planted, also the pond at south shore Lake Comanche.
    All of these spots have regular trout plants during the winter.

link for Oak Grove: http://www.sjgov.org/parks/regional%...egional%20Park

Quote Originally Posted by mikemann
    Very very cool guys! *

Thank you so much. *This has been a huge help.

What I liked about the place in marler was it wasn't just a trout farm. *So you could catch and release. *I know some of these Trout farms, you could pull a dozen fish in a matter of minutes. *Want it to be fun, but not over in flash. :-)

The place in HMB is pretty cool.

I really appreciate all the replies.

-Mike
    I got a spot for you-check your PM

You don’t want the kids to be too successful. The first time I took my future son out, 6 years old, he caught three trout in about 15 minutes. Every time we went out after that, if he didn’t catch a fish in the first five minutes, he was wondering off catching bugs. To this day, (he is now 20 years old), he likes catching bugs, but he is not a fisherman. [smiley=worm.gif]

steveo79

You might want to check out Springfield Trout Farm, in Columbia, Calif. Its set back behind Columbia, and is a beautiful spot. As a bonus, you could take your little guy over to Columbia State Park, an old gold rush town that has been preserved in pristine condition. Lots of spots to picnic, stuff to see, and do. Right up a 5 year olds alley. My kids loved it there when they were little.

Very very cool guys!

Thank you so much. This has been a huge help.

What I liked about the place in marler was it wasn't just a trout farm. So you could catch and release. I know some of these Trout farms, you could pull a dozen fish in a matter of minutes. Want it to be fun, but not over in flash. :-)

The place in HMB is pretty cool.

I really appreciate all the replies.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast