Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Portable fish finder for shore fishing

Thats funny. One time i was casting a top water lure in the bay just to kill time since I wasn't getting any bites and a seagul dove down and and grabed it and started taking off with it. It was the best fight of my life, LOL, the line ended up breaking and the lure was lost. The bird flew away.

I usually carry an extra rod and reel with the finder attached with 12 lb. line. Sometimes I just use what I have on my regualr fishing rod, and have gone as low as 4 lb. Be careful at the low line strengths. If you try to cast too far, the line could snap and bye-bye Smartcast. I guess that would be a "Dumbcast". They only have a range of 100', so no need to cast far anyways.

One time I had a seagull pick the damn thing out of the water and start to fly away with it. It snapped my line and dropped it in the middle of the lake. I had my son stay there and keep an eye on it, while I drove home a few miles away, blew up an inflatable raft, and came back, got on the wtaer and paddled out to retrieve the thing. I got it back. That was a day to remember.

Wishn

Cool, I'll try to find one for cheap on ebay. What line test do you use for casting out the sonar?

Hi Lazy Boy.

Small rolling waves have little effect. Small white caps will cause the unit to interrupt occasionally, depending on how bad they are. Large 2 or 3 foot waves will really cause problems.

Purchase a cheap one on Ebay, and I think you'll be satisfied. It's a great tool for the shore bound angler.

Wishn

Quote Originally Posted by Wishnbfishn
    First of all nam.... what in the H E double hockey sticks does your name mean?

I have a Smartcast wrist unit and love it. Sure, it's not as good as some of the higher priced units, but it's small, accurate, and does the job. As others have mentioned, it doesn't work real well in swift current, but I used mine over the last few days to mark stripers near shore on the Sac, and pods of shad on the American. It is also useful to determine depth for setting bobber heights.

My two cents.

Wishn
    Thanks for the input. And my username means lazy boy.

I only fish small lakes, so no fast moving water there. Do waves affect the sonar much?

First of all nam.... what in the H E double hockey sticks does your name mean?

I have a Smartcast wrist unit and love it. Sure, it's not as good as some of the higher priced units, but it's small, accurate, and does the job. As others have mentioned, it doesn't work real well in swift current, but I used mine over the last few days to mark stripers near shore on the Sac, and pods of shad on the American. It is also useful to determine depth for setting bobber heights.

My two cents.

Wishn

I had one a while back and I have to agree with kingcole that it is pretty much usless in fast mooving water. I bought mine at walmart and returned it. It would only be good in lakes and really slow moving waters.

Yea I bought mine on ebay for about 30

I have a Humingbird Smart Cast also. I have the larger unit and it works pretty good. I have found it most useful for bait fishing for Trout and for locating Shad.

I have the big unit and think i'd rather have the pole mount unit becuase as a bankie I am on the move and it is just another thing I have to cary. If it were the pole mount or wrist mount things wuld be easier but the screen is pretty small.

The only bad thing I have found is if the river is really flowing you will often lose signal the transponder (bobber) cant be moving real fast so on the Sac or high flows on American can sometimes be too fast and your unit will not read.

Fishing up in the Basin on the American for Shad it is a great tool to find them, truth be told on shad you can normally read the boards and just go see where others are fishing to find them but it is real cool to pull across a monster school of shad and see the screen go bannanas.

Do buy it off E-bay you can save $20 - 30 bucks easy, just be paitent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast