Re: Best way to handle high gas prices

When HHing I try to do everything that the driver would hate having to do alone (i.e.loading/unloading tackle, unclipping the straps, even launching the boat and taking the trailer back up and parking) to me this is what a driver would expect from a HH'er; just a good helper for the tough stuff. I always offer up some cash, but usually get turned down.
    I always feel bad b/c I know they are being polite by not taking the $, but sometimes I feel like thats what I owe. This is the ONLY time I feel like I'm not doing my part as a hiker. Gas prices are a burden on everyones pocket right now, but sometimes being a good deck hand can cover the costs.

And what FISHSTALKER said was right on...sometimes it costs me $40 in gas to get up there also.

Just My 2 copper disks.

I have a 14ft aluminum and I have hitchiked on someone elses ride twice now. (Imramos & Vito). Each time I have done as much as I could to be a good "first mate". I have offered both times to pay for gas and both times each sniffer politely refused. I think the gesture is sometimes more greatly appreciated than the actual money. The greatest thing of each trip to me was the fact I learned something new on each guys boat and I also taught each guy something he didnt' know either. It was so cool not only sharing the ride, the water, the fishing, but also each others knowledge in areas where the other might be unfamiliar.

Kudos to the HH board here on the Fishsniffer !

Food for thought................. I figure that if I'm going fishing, I'm going with or without someone in the second seat. My Boats Honda's give great gas milage so in "most cases" the cost of a days fishing would be very minimal. Of corse this would change if excess hours (miles) are traveled like on the Ocean or spending more than one day on the Lake. Then shared fuel expense would be more than appropriate.

I would not consider sharing expenses on the tow vehicle because;
    1.) I was going to the Lake regardless of the second seat being filled.
    2.) In most cases the HH had to drive his vehicle to meet up with me either at my house or at the Lake
    3.) Turn around is fair play - In the future the HH may buy a boat and hopfully offer to take me out sometime. (Mickey ;D)

The exception to this would be a joint venture long trip like Flaming Gorge.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by drstressor
    I'd never expect a close friend to chip in. *Not even somebody like wetdawg.

But hitchhiking is certainly a good way to reduce fuel consumption and to have more fun fishing as well.
    Thank ya fer cover'n my back Doc...ain't love grand *[smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] [smiley=bananadevil.gif] :-?

I'd never expect a close friend to chip in. Not even somebody like wetdawg.

But hitchhiking is certainly a good way to reduce fuel consumption and to have more fun fishing as well.

What he said * SHOW ME THE MONEY * ;D take a load off Benny *8-)

OldTimer

Best way to handle high gas prices

Every hitchhiker on this board is great about sharing costs and paying for gas. Most of my close friends don't offer to chip in. So, the solution to these freakish high prices is to invite more hitchhikers to go out with you.