Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By borntoscout
  • 5 Post By borntoscout

Thread: First Kayak Salmon

Re: First Kayak Salmon

Yes, it can be good for stripers. The area gets fished pretty heavy by boats coming up from wimpy's. At least one guide is a regular there. The stripes move around and as always if you don't find them one day keep trying. If DFW releases the steelhead smolts up stream on the Moke, that usually starts the striper action for the year. Generally happens in February. There is a canoe/kayak launch off Middle Slough at the Nature Conservancy's Cosumnes River Preserve. See their web site for details. You will want wheels for your yak. One irritation: they do not open the parking lot early enough to suit most fisherman and get upset if you drive over the "barrier".
    Last edited by borntoscout; 01-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Would this be a good striper area too? where do you launch your kayak in this area? I'm new to trying kayak fishing on rivers, but this looks like a good spot. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but the pictures you have remind me of that kayak only water where you launch at consumnez wildlife preserve. It's not the same place right?
    Yes, the same place. Pics are of the Mokelumne at Bensons Ferry which is also the confluence of the Moke and Cosumnes. (The historic ferry site was a couple hundred yards down stream).
    One thing to keep in mind if you fish salmon there next year: the Cosumnes is closed to the take and possession of salmon so returning to the Middle Slough launch at the CRP with a salmon legally caught in the Moke is a violation.

This may be a dumb question, but the pictures you have remind me of that kayak only water where you launch at consumnez wildlife preserve. It's not the same place right?

K. S. #2 only 1/4 as big but at least I got a pic:

From B. F. upstream on the Moke (and the Cosumnes) you are never far from a snag. But that makes it a perfect water to hunt for a fish to give your yak a tow as it keeps most of the PBs throttled back.

Nice job! Looks like you got awful close to losing the fish again due to tree branches. I'm a little jealous, haven't been towed around in my yak yet......

"One Fish" Bainter

First Kayak Salmon

On the Moke at B. F. this morning. Jigging a chrome Gibbs. A large (20 lbs. or more) hook jaw male rose grey colored beast towed me around for a bit and gave a spectacular jump tight up against a bushy Oregon ash only a few feet from the nose of my yak. I think his head came up higher than my own. An adrenalin pumper. Kicking myself for not taking a pic but I had planned to release any thing I caught and he came floating up on his side with the siwash hook sticking up. I grabbed it, pulled against the barb, it popped free and he was on his way.