Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Racinrob
  • 1 Post By Bainter1212

Thread: Battery

Re: Battery

just thinking about what i just posted so i just had to make something... i recently got a cheap 18v ryobi drill and charger for work.. it came with the over night charger and it was useless to me, i needed the quick charger.. i reconfigured the wires in the old charger to only use as the battery connection,, got rid of the resistors inside and soldered the wires straight to the tabs.. have my old ff from my boat going to use it as a portable in the jon boat...lol..
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

i do not have a kayak.. years ago my friend used to run the fish finder and running lights off dewalt battery's on his drift boat.. if i remember right he used the 18v battery's.. used it for night fishing in the delta and stuff like that.. a couple battery's would last all night long..
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

Quote Originally Posted by insearchoffish View Post
    I use an old motorcycle battery not sure if its lead or gel but it will run my color FF for 5 or 6 days, 8-10 hrs a day Its a little heavy but I love it on multiday trips. When I need to I just hook it up to the battery tender and charge it up. Have been thinking a of getting a little solar panel to charge it up on those really long trips.
    I have a customer at work who has a side business, Solar trollers all kinds of panels and seems like decent pricing. He said he has a lil 5watt that would keep the battery fully charged as I am using the FF all day.
    the website is being redone but here is a link
    Solar Troller Systems

BTW it is a sealed lead acid battery, supposed to be spillproof, important in a kayak IMO.

I just literally bought a FF (Lowrance x4 DSI) and a battery online last night. I ordered a 7 AH compact battery made by "chrome battery". It is $17 on Amazon. Looks like the company makes all sorts of batteries for scooters motorcycles etc. I will post on how well this setup holds up in the next few months.

I use an old motorcycle battery not sure if its lead or gel but it will run my color FF for 5 or 6 days, 8-10 hrs a day Its a little heavy but I love it on multiday trips. When I need to I just hook it up to the battery tender and charge it up. Have been thinking a of getting a little solar panel to charge it up on those really long trips.

Blog Entries

I am assuming since you are posting in the kayak section you are powering a FF for your kayak. A lot of us use the 7 AH batteries. You will get 2-4 trips per charge depending on your FF, color, B&W or GPS too. When you get a small battery like that is is imperative to get a small 1-1.5 amp charger. Make it an automatic charger also. If you use an auto charger, even a 2 amp charger you will cook the battery. The 7ah bats are gel cel and can be mounted any way you want. Mine lays down in the front of my hull. I have a 5ah bat in one of my kayaks and it runs a basic Eagle 300 FF. My Humminbird 768 gets the 7ah and I can easily go 2-3 days without charging. When I am on the water I'm out from 6-10 hrs plus depending on time of year per day. Color draws a lot of power, but the 7ah will still usually last 1-2 trips worry free. At least for most FF. any more questions feel free to ask. If its not for a yak, sorry for the long post.
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff Fishing Team Member

aka SMOGGUY

Quote Originally Posted by jmdc View Post
    What battery is everyone purchasing? Gel or Lead?
    I use both,blue tops an interstates,to be honest I have mixed feelings about gel verses lead,in a normal situation when you properly maintain a wet batt.it usually will last 4 + years,a gel which costs on an average double the price will last longer if maintained correctly!Maybe 6+ years!!I don't do well on the maint.thing so my personal choice would still be wet cell Batt's(lead)!!Just because of the cost involved.If you are a really gung ho maint guy I would go with the lead wet cell batt's unless size an the positioning is a problem,gel batt's can be used upside down if need be!!!I also get batt's at my dealer cost but even then they are expensive so my opinion may not be relevant!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmdc View Post
    This is a really tough question to answer -

1. I look for a RC rating that fits my anticapated needs. Some use the amp hour rating also. The RC rating is basically the same thing with the math done for you. It's based on a constant 25 amp load and it's result is in minutes.

2. I look for maximum charge cycles. This means how many times a battery can be re-charged. A good quality battery will usually handle between 160 and 180 charge cycles.

3. Brand Reputation is ever changing, its all about who YOU trust. You'll get a lot of great brand recommendations following my post I'm sure. I happen to trust Interstate but it may not be the brand for you.

I'm always concerned about weight and I'm always concerned about how long it takes to recharge the batteries. The weight is almost always present in the basic battery spec's but rarely are the recharge times present so you have to call and ask.

Generally speaking AGM batteries charge faster than Lead/Acid but are more expensive and the maximum charge cycles are still the same. They are often spill proof so if that's an issue for you it might be your best bet. Gel type batteries are spill proof and can often be mounted any way you want, they are more expensive and often have the same charge cycle ratings as all the others.

If you're wondering why I keep mentioning charge cycles its because you can spend a ton of money on the top rated battery and it still won't last any longer than any of the others.

I run the Interstate Pro series lead/acid batteries that claim 200 charge cycles. I use them year round and charge them often with a MinKota 345D onboard charger but I don't count how many times I charge them so I just plan to replace them every two years.

FYI, I don't believe in load testing and relying on the results of a battery that's been used hard in a boat for two years or more. To me it's just not worth ruining a trip.

Battery