Re: LowranceNET: Red vs. Blue

The patch cables talked about in this thread will work just fine on the blue backbone. You won't see any performance difference. If you stay with the blue backbone it will be cheaper if you just get the blue to red (black) converter cables for each unit. All the newer NMEA 2000 cables and fittings from Lowrance are black which is the same as Red that is reffered to here.

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    I'm a little putting my 2 cents in. Mine is mixed and match. The newer stuff you buy from Lowrance will probably be the red (NEMA 2000) stuff. My digital gauge for my Suzuki engine was blue. They will work ok togather but you need to get the right color terminators to match the last tee in the network. end of the network.
    Or you can use the patch cords I believe. Then everything would basically be red. My understanding was that LowranceNET meant Lowrance only......NMEA-2000 allows for easy accessorizing from all brands.
    Pro Staff - LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    Pro Staff - SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING

I'm a little putting my 2 cents in. Mine is mixed and match. The newer stuff you buy from Lowrance will probably be the red (NEMA 2000) stuff. My digital gauge for my Suzuki engine was blue. They will work ok togather but you need to get the right color terminators to match the last tee in the network. end of the network.

Yes you can use the patch cables, but, if it were me I would go RED all the way. You can price it all out both ways at LEI Extras.

Edd

I currently have an LCX-25C and LGC-2000 puck running on a LowranceNET blue NMEA 2000 network. I am swapping out my unit for an LCX-28C HD and an LCX-113C HD and using the ethernet to data share between them. They both are for the red network, but I noticed that Lowrance sells the converter cables (red to blue / blue to red). I was just curious if I can get away with that or if I should swap everything out from blue to red.

Quote Originally Posted by 525261555F575A51476152523E0
    Are there any advantages between the blue and red LowranceNET networks?* I currently have the blue network running.* Is it worth the cost to upgrade to the red network?
    I believe the RED connectors cabling is Lowrance's NMEA 2000 network (made available in mid 2007), and the BLUE connector cabling is for the LowranceNET which is proprietary. The main difference being, with the NMEA 2000 network you can mix and match to a pretty good extent, other manufacturers gear. NMEA 2000 is the marine electronics standard. So to answer your question....if you're NOT changing your electronics package any, it won't benefit you any to go RED. Also if you decide to change to NMEA 2000 you will probably need some patch cords for your existing equipment.

Edd

LowranceNET: Red vs. Blue

Are there any advantages between the blue and red LowranceNET networks? I currently have the blue network running. Is it worth the cost to upgrade to the red network?