Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Making your own crab snares, (lots of pics)

An engineer I am definately not ;D. A cheap guy who loves using something he made I am . Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

CJC

Quote Originally Posted by Ptack
    A few people have wanted it, and here it is. Here is how I make my crab snares.

What you need- Materials
    . 1in by 1/2 square mesh, slightly thicker then hardware cloth.
    . wire crimp connectors, female blade style, and ring connectors.
    . weed whacker line.
    . bicycle tire tube
    . small chain link.

What you need- Tools
    . Needle nose pliars (preferably 2
    . Wire Cutters
    . Wire crimpers
    . Scissors.
    Them engineers are good a writing procedures, huh?

You usually just get 1 crab, but I caught two in one snare last time out, and it does happen from time to time.

Here is my method.
    HUCK the thing out there nice and far, make sure there is a bit of slack in the line so the snare stays on the bottom, and just let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. You dont need to hold it, or watch it, just make sure there isnt too much slack out to get in other people's lines. After it soaks for that long, reel in the slack and set the rod hard like you felt a bit fish bite, then reel up with a nice steady pace. You will feel that crab on there if there is one. THEN when it gets to the surface, slow way down and let it drag on the surface nice and slow until the line is straight under you. You want to keep pressure on the line, and keep the crab moving, but you dont want it to bounce in and out of the water or else it slips out of the snare :'(. Then when it is under you, reel up nice and quick again.

Smooth is the key, and to slow down when you get to the surface

when using a crab snare, can you only catch one crab at a time or do several hang out over the top try at the bait? would you have to hold your poll and work it like you where fishing, feeling for the "bite" or after a while of soaking the bait, reel in and check on it? i have seen them before, but it's never been explained. thanks
    fish crippler

Quote Originally Posted by metalmouth
    I know it will make it into the FAQ Hall of Fame for these boards!
    My thoughts exactly! Great post Ptack!

thats almost the exact same way i build mine!

haha, right on, and yeah man, GREAT post!

Great post PTack!!!! ;D ;D ;D I make mine the same with one small change, I'll actually make my snares one link wider to allow for more bait, the trade off is the distance of how far I can cast it, but it works for me. Also for those like myself, who want to make snares for the enjoyment of using homemade tackle and not for just cost saving purposes I would recommend in investing in some long handle wire cutters. After snipping about 10 templates out I found that I could not feel the end of my thumb, and didn't get the feeling back for about a week. :-?

metalmouth

That is a great pictorial. I know it will make it into the FAQ Hall of Fame for these boards!

Thanks for sharing so much useful info!

MM/Don

Making your own crab snares, (lots of pics)

A few people have wanted it, and here it is. Here is how I make my crab snares.

What you need- Materials
    . 1in by 1/2 square mesh, slightly thicker then hardware cloth.
    . wire crimp connectors, female blade style, and ring connectors.
    . weed whacker line.
    . bicycle tire tube
    . small chain link.

What you need- Tools
    . Needle nose pliars (preferably 2
    . Wire Cutters
    . Wire crimpers
    . Scissors.

And here we go
    Here is my template, I took apart a crab snare i bought on the pier and used it as a template. Here you can see the mesh material

use your wire cutters here, I like to mark the side to cut with the sharpie so I dont cut the wrong side (again )

here is the square cut out, template on the right

just follow the template

grab the far ends, and gently curve them up using your thumb, you need to make a curve on the bottom part, and the top

both ends folded, they arnt perfectly symetrical but the crab dont *care

Now fold the sides up

Now on the top of the curved ends, you need to put a couple bends in it to connect the sides. Use the pliars and twist

like this

Fold the loose end up, and start twisting with the pliars

here is how it should look. Be careful not to put too much stress on the joint in the metal between the mesh, so try just to twist the loose end.

twist the other loose end down below, it wont twist around as many times, but the crab dont care . Then duplicate on the other side

Note the lower twist too

here is what you need for each actual snare, remember, you get 6 only. Cut the weed whacker lines into 6, 12-14inch sections.

crimp a ring on

Take the plastic off, make sure its crimped nice and tight

MAKE SURE TO LOOP THE LINE BEFORE THE NEXT STEP

now take your female connector

separate it

loop it through each side of the female connector, and around one of the 6 verticle parts of the mesh

Theres one snare

repeat X6

using another template, make your top

here is where it connects on the base

the lid is the hardest part, you need to leave a small gap before you twist it around similar to the sides, so make a hook like this first

attach here

and you have a lid

Now you need the rubber band to keep the lid closed... so take your bicycle tire

cut a strip out

take your chain for a hook

bend it like so

there is your lid closer

and its closed

Your all done, youve got yourself a snare. Some optional things to help, use a file to smooth the sharp edges, and lightly scuff the weedwhacker line so it isnt as smooth and stays closed even easier around the crabs leg.

Also dont forget to fill it with some weight, i use about 5oz pyramid sinkers shoved in there.

Now look one snare loop to a swivel on your line (or add a small leader to the top), cast it out with some bait in there, let it sit, and reel in the delicious crab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12