Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: alameda naval air station hot spots

central bait is the only bait shop i know that doesnt open up early in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by EastBayAngler
    Since October? Where you been fishing?

sorry for the hijack
    In a pond by san Leandro for carp.

EastBayAngler

Since October? Where you been fishing?

sorry for the hijack

I have not fished in Alameda since october, I might hit the rockwall with a friend next week for winter leppies.

EastBayAngler

Quote Originally Posted by the hague
    Has anyone fished any of the recently opened shoreline at the old naval air station? I'm looking for a decent shoreline spot to fish in the East Bay that is not hard to access so that the family can tag along. I know that the rock wall is probably the best bet but it is a little precarious for my three year old! Anyhow i'm working on getting my 7 year old excited about fishing so any suggestions would be great.

Man wheres Minnow Magnet when you need him? ;D , Alameda Ferry, Bay Farm, : hhmmm!...Robert Crown Beach, The 7th st. pier in Oakland is right around the corner.

Heres a cool link to check out the wind and weather in Alameda in case your going out the wall or something!-

http://www.kitewindsurf.com/store/windcam.aspx

Central Bait is pretty cool in Alameda. Hope this helps 8-)

EBA

I would also be interested in knowing if there is new shore line access at NAS Alameda........I fish that area a lot but not this time of year, April and May I start plugging Alameda and Oakland.....Hey Donzi these photos bring back any memories. [smiley=pirate.gif]

donzitroller

I used to be stationed at NAS Alameda for a period of about 6 years. We used to fish at the end of the airstrip and did well on sharks until the cops kicked us out. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. I don't know what is open there and what's not, so take all that for what it's worth. Wire leaders with frozen squid.

this time of the year rockwall would be your best bet, but i dont know if it is still deserted because of the oil spill. fishing there might be kinda slow and treacherous for the kids to walk.

you can try chabot, but it's also on-off. from shore you can get a lot of early morning hits if you are in the right spots. but after about 10:30am it dies down. i might head down there later on this week if you can wait till then i'll post a report in the freshwater forums.

OK, I was just sittin here thinkin about this and i've realized that no-one is going to give away their favorite fishin hole online! I get a chance to fish only a couple of times a year so if you are feeling real generous (is it still the season of giving?) you could always email me! Otherwise, general advice would definitely be appreciated on this post!
    Hague....

Be patient.......You'll get lots of information.......just maybe not on new years eve or new years day

Thanks Bluestar......I was born in Oakland, right across the channel....some time ago :

and have never fished Alameda......

I Did fish Smelt on doughballs in Lake Merit though....1949 ;D...I understand the water is cleaner there than it was way back then

Hague, Lake Chabot isn't too far from you.....take Estadillo over the hill....big planters (trout) and clean water......great for kids...check the season

Happy New Year guys

OK, I was just sittin here thinkin about this and i've realized that no-one is going to give away their favorite fishin hole online! I get a chance to fish only a couple of times a year so if you are feeling real generous (is it still the season of giving?) you could always email me! Otherwise, general advice would definitely be appreciated on this post!
    How many times does all the other folks fish a year?

I don't even know the shoreline of the old navy station is opened up to public. *Do you have any more details about that? *I think those big navy ships are still in there, no?

I haven't fished from shores of Alameda much but I've fished around Alameda Naval Air Station quite a bit and can see what goes on on land. *The shipping channel side has a few short piers and a few stretch of concrete edges that I have seen people fish from. *Those seem very comfortable fishing sites -- easy access, large flat ground, calm water. I have seen cars parked right behind those fishermen.

The west-most end of Alameda Island is a shoreline that runs north and south. *I have fished the waters right off it and have only caught bat rays. *Not keepers for me but it was hell of a work out. *It was fenced up before; don't know status with this new opening up. *The edge has big rocks, not a comfortable setting, plus the afternoon wind will blow the waves' splashes right into your face.

Then there is the navy ship harbour. *I don't know how much fish is inside that little harbor, maybe some 6" fish that are fun for kids to catch. It surely will be a nice and comfortable setting for kids to fish. Plenty of parking 50 feet from shore, water is dead calm, plenty of open space. *Would be unique to fish right under the air craft carrier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast