Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slowriprun12

Thread: Leopard Sharks!!

Re: Leopard Sharks!!

Anything leopard shark eats - bat rays will eat it as well. You might as well use squid as it is the best bait to put out for them. I like to use 8/0 Owner with 100lbs mono leader and at least 65lbs braid as my main line. I find a high low rig/3 way swivel rig to work the best as it keeps the bait out from little critters with 8 legs on the bottom floor.

Yup, nayr covered when. However, because we haven't had any rain, the year is being extended, inside the bay. All this talk about 'em, has me thinking of seeing what I might rake up.

I've used everything from handlines, to trout rods, to steelhead rods, to the cheapest Masters, from Big5. Honestly, if ya really want to get into the bigger fish,,,then, it's all about bait. Sure, ya need to find fish, but ya gotta give 'em what they really can't resist. Squid ain't it! Sorry Squiders. The high/low ain't it either. Sorry High/lowers.

Keep it simple and get out there before the fresh water really hits. I bet ya do well. And, I'd suggest that ya don't hang in one area for more than the movement of one tide,,,longest. If ya ain't getting bit, and you're using the baits suggested, then, ya need to go find 'em. Good luck and please let us know how ya did.

Sharks are around all year, but you will catch more on average from late spring through the summer months. I have never tried for shark on the coast because they are an easy target in the SF bay. I will reiterate what others have said and stress the importance of using whole baits like midshipmen, 6-8 inch sardines, and salmon bellies. Leopard sharks make great ceviche.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by slowriprun12 View Post
    BT,

Leopard shark fishing is a pretty simple game. I go with: I only want sharks, so, no squid,,,rays like it too much. I only want mature leopards, so, no cut baits and no high/low rigs,,,small sharks mess with it too much.

On a sliding sinker set up, I use a 3 foot 40lb mono leader, a 5.0 circle hook, enough weight to keep me down and whole/big baits. Midshipmen, salmon stomach, fresh smelt, in that order are my favorites. No matter the hook, let 'em run, before setting. With the water temps down, up this way, I'd do a solid, "1 and 2 and..." Set!

I don't know your area, so can't help there, but if ya "know" sharks have come out of a given spot, and we continue to not get any rain, you should find 'em around that area. I don't typically target 'em, this late in the year, but they're post spawn and I'd suppose that the bigger females are going to be moving in and out of deeper troughs. At night, you'll often find 'em coming into shallow water to feed, up on muddy or rocky shorelines.

Almost all of my sharking is done in very shallow water, done at night and I like to use 15lb braid. Others use heavier, but I'm not running into big 7s, or big soups, or anything else that could get me into trouble. So, I like the lighter line. I C&R all mine, never did find a way past that wonderful pee smell.
    Wow thanks for the tips there really helpful. Ive heard all kinds of steel leader no steel leader 10000 lb test BS and its just confusing. But now I know more or less how to do it. You said you dont target them late in the year so when is the best time of year to go after them. Also what kind of rod reel setup do have when fishing em. Thanks For All The Help.
    You won't catch fish 100 percent of the time you don't fishing
    -Wayne Fishzsky

BT,

Leopard shark fishing is a pretty simple game. I go with: I only want sharks, so, no squid,,,rays like it too much. I only want mature leopards, so, no cut baits and no high/low rigs,,,small sharks mess with it too much.

On a sliding sinker set up, I use a 3 foot 40lb mono leader, a 5.0 circle hook, enough weight to keep me down and whole/big baits. Midshipmen, salmon stomach, fresh smelt, in that order are my favorites. No matter the hook, let 'em run, before setting. With the water temps down, up this way, I'd do a solid, "1 and 2 and..." Set!

I don't know your area, so can't help there, but if ya "know" sharks have come out of a given spot, and we continue to not get any rain, you should find 'em around that area. I don't typically target 'em, this late in the year, but they're post spawn and I'd suppose that the bigger females are going to be moving in and out of deeper troughs. At night, you'll often find 'em coming into shallow water to feed, up on muddy or rocky shorelines.

Almost all of my sharking is done in very shallow water, done at night and I like to use 15lb braid. Others use heavier, but I'm not running into big 7s, or big soups, or anything else that could get me into trouble. So, I like the lighter line. I C&R all mine, never did find a way past that wonderful pee smell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you fish surf or piers? And also whats your setup when your fishing for leopards? I've heard that in moss landing there are some really good leo spots from shore. My uncle and have always wanted to try there we just didn't know how to rig up. Thanks for the pointers and best of fishing
    -Wayne Fishzsky

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Tackler View Post
    Hey does anyone ever shore,pier, or surf fish for leopard shark near Monterey or Santa Cruz. Ive heard that there good eating and ive always wanted to go and fish for them, I just dont know the spot or the how to's or what to do's. Id really apperciate any tips you saltwater anglers have.
    -Thanks
    never caught a shark in the santa cruz area, but i'm sure they're there.

i'm from the southern east bay and in this area, i've always been productive with a hi/low rig and using pile worm or grass shrimp.

smaller shark is catchable with standard mono, but if you're going for the larger guys you'll need braid and steal core rigs. also, i've noticed that the larger ones usually go for single rigged hooks.

good luck.

Hook Leopard Sharks!!

Hey does anyone ever shore,pier, or surf fish for leopard shark near Monterey or Santa Cruz. Ive heard that there good eating and ive always wanted to go and fish for them, I just dont know the spot or the how to's or what to do's. Id really apperciate any tips you saltwater anglers have.
    -Thanks
    -Wayne Fishzsky