Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shorefishing for Rock Fish at Pillar Point? Setup? Lures to use? Need some tips.

Re: Shorefishing for Rock Fish at Pillar Point? Setup? Lures to use? Need some tips.

I definatly agree with the sand bags! Ive been fishing the fort ross ocean cove area for a while. normaly I will run 20-25# mono. Ive run bigger but when i get snaged its a son of ***** to break it free with out pulling your self into the drink! not fun when your fishing 15-20' above the rocks. Ill tie three bait loops 2'apart 3-6oz lead on the bottom depending how ruff it is . size 6-8 hooks to the other two bait loops i find this quick and easy to rig.Ive learned that red thread works great for saving bait! Ill tie my weights on with 15# test that way when you snag your only loosing your weight. Where I fish I seem to loose more gear in the rocks than the kelp,I here braid works good for cutting through the kelp but ive yet to try. I run sand bags when Ive got em but localy their hard to find,definatly a cheaper way to go! squid seems to work well as long as theres fish ''keep bait fresh'' Ive heard sand crabs and blood worms work good too.Ive recently steped up to a more sensative rod 10' much better for those small bites and feeling the bottom. 10'-12' comes in handy when you gotta get it out to those far rocks and when your up high and have to reach out around the rocks! I like 10', much easier than a big bulky surf rod. ive seen some good size lings cought this way! But everybodys diffrent . try em all and find what you like. ps:the lings are spawning now and like to move in close ! ''good luck''

Re: Shorefishing for Rock Fish at Pillar Point? Setup? Lures to use? Need some tips.

I've been hittin the coastal rockfish ever since the delta turned too dirty for striper fishing with lures. Been doing pretty well too, except the last day of the year. Water was murky and swells were too big. The areas in question are far from eachother, but maybe I can share.
    I use a 7' medium heavy baitcasting rod with a Quantum Catalyst pts reel. Line is 65lb power pro that served its time casting in the delta for Stripers. I'll pick up squid, sandbags, and a couple packs of snelled hooks. Tie a dropper loop and loop the snelled hooks onto the dropper loop, leave about 18-24 inches and tie on a sandbag to the end of the line. Seems like I've lost less rigs with this setup compared to using any mono leaders. Its amazing how strong the kelp is out there, but braided line gets the rig back most of the time. Sandbags are sold in rolls of 10 or so and are way cheaper than lead. Just fill em full of sand or small rocks and ya got plenty of cheap weight.
    I experiment with casting distance as well. Cast out 20-30 yds and wait 10-15 mins. If nothing happens I'll usually reel in 10 -15 yds. I'll keep doing that till I catch a fish, get all the way in, or get snagged. Rockfish are territorial and like to stay around where they live, so once you catch a couple from one area move around. Same goes if you aren't catching fish. Best advice is to use what you read on these posts and get out there and do it. You'll learn from your mistakes and successes. Good luck out there and report back.

Shorefishing for Rock Fish at Pillar Point? Setup? Lures to use? Need some tips.

Back to fishn eh?!

Wow it has been several months since i last fish. I don't see much reports at all in the area. wonder if the fish are stil active. It's been really really cold lately but maybe someday I'll get out there and give it a try. I know my friends went there a few weeks ago but I never ask how they did. Anyone been there lately?

i use snelled bait holder hooks which are then strung on my two hook rig i prefer them because they keep the bait on better than other hooks so i think it does matter if you're after rock fish from shore. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcaster1 View Post
    Go North Ocean cove shell beach use whole squid three way swivel 20 lb test to weight 50lb to hook and 80lb braid cast to rocks and bring lots of gear you will need it i have cought 15lb lings and 10lb cap's this way along with assorted rock fish good luck.
    Where is the "North Ocean cove shell beach" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcaster1 View Post
    Go North Ocean cove shell beach use whole squid three way swivel 20 lb test to weight 50lb to hook and 80lb braid cast to rocks and bring lots of gear you will need it i have cought 15lb lings and 10lb cap's this way along with assorted rock fish good luck.
    bayfisher123:: Do you use feathered rockcod hooks or just plain ones? Does it matter?

Shorefishing for Rock Fish at Pillar Point? Setup? Lures to use? Need some tips.

I'd love to catch me some rock fish close to shore but losing all the tackle and the rough swells deters me...

and also with casting distance just experiment sometimes they're very close to shore and other times they're a little ways out from shore you should just experiment

use a hi-lo rig with size 6 hooks for the smaller rock fish and size 4 for the larger and for bait use squid cut chunks of anchovy or even pile worms work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast