Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By D_<><
  • 2 Post By ghostfish_slayer
  • 1 Post By D_<><

Thread: American River Steelhead January 14, 2013

Re: American River Steelhead January 14, 2013

In mid summer when weather is warmer, these fish likes to stay in the cooler portion of the river. Deeper holes means cooler temperature. I have caught these fish year round so steelies are in here all year long but concentrate this month and the next two. Especially this month and next month, if you put your time in, it can be rewarding.

"If you're not snagging, you're not at the strike zone. I lose 1 to 4 spoons every 2 1/2 weeks"

Quote Originally Posted by Banker916 View Post
    You will tell right off the native rainbows in the river. The steelies look like silver bullets. Just like those two beauties that D just posted.

The native rainbows are a lot darker. Sad but folks take them home and eat em when they catch them.
    I've seen 3 schools of them I've watched for two years harvested in two afternoons. 5 guys had over 20 of them on stringers. I called DFGW and they never showed.

Reason why I won't post anything other than shad, salmon, and steelie about the AR.
    Back more years ago than I want to admit, "skimboarding" used to be legal on the AR. When it wasn't my turn on the board, I used to dive with a mask into some of the deeper (8-15 foot deep) parts of the river. I used to see HUGE rainbows in there....like 8-15 pounders were common. This would have been mid-summer...so I don't know if they were summer run steelhead or large native rainbows. Based on their behavior, living in deep slow parts of the river, I would guess the later....but hard to be sure.

Makes me wonder today if they are living in the same holes...but the river has changed so much in the past 35 or so years that what used to be deep holes are now gravel bars...

Here's a Rainbow that was caught last year.

"If you're not snagging, you're not at the strike zone. I lose 1 to 4 spoons every 2 1/2 weeks"

Quote Originally Posted by Banker916 View Post
    You will tell right off the native rainbows in the river. The steelies look like silver bullets. Just like those two beauties that D just posted.

The native rainbows are a lot darker. Sad but folks take them home and eat em when they catch them.
    I've seen 3 schools of them I've watched for two years harvested in two afternoons. 5 guys had over 20 of them on stringers. I called DFGW and they never showed.

Reason why I won't post anything other than shad, salmon, and steelie about the AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    maybe they are to busy watching fishermen or to busy trying to bust someone for taking a puff on the river...
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

American River Steelhead January 14, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BlurryEyed View Post
    To me that looks like a Rainbow on roids...

Can someone tell me key characteristic differences between Rainbow trout and steelies besides size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because a steelhead is a Rainbow on "roids"

Question Re: American River Steelhead January 14, 2013

To me that looks like a Rainbow on roids...

Can someone tell me key characteristic differences between Rainbow trout and steelies besides size?

Normally I use 8lb leader but I used 10lb today as those fish I hooked yesterday was bigger and stronger fish.

American River Steelhead January 14, 2013

She took off on me and I had to chase her down. Again, started with a gold spoon and then swap over to drifting roe.