Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Yellow Dot on my Salmon

Blog Entries

Re: Yellow Dot on my Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfish_slayer View Post
    obviously they were clipped or the head hunters would n0t take the heads.
    Sorry GFS - I thought you were saying they took the heads because of the yellow dot being a hatchery mark.

obviously they were clipped or the head hunters would n0t take the heads.
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

Blog Entries

I've seen the same yellow dot on landlocked rainbow trout. I really think it's naturally occurring. The Feather River fish that they took the heads from likely had an adipose clip.

Super Moderator
    Images

ghost, I'll ask the UCD person who does the genetic hatchery stuff for the feather river hatchery about it, but I think they will give me the same info as above?

We shall see,

Good info to get out there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfish_slayer View Post
    hmmmm,,, over the last few years .... heard 2 different fishery biologists say feather river hatchery fish have die/dot.. true or not?? been seeing the dot for a few years. always wondered. seen biologists cut off 100 maybe 200 feather river fish heads in a couple months last year.. a few stray fish but hundreds of feather river fish.. that's what we put in there and that's what we get back.. seen quite a few fish with a dot die last year... whats up with the dot?

hmmmm,,, over the last few years .... heard 2 different fishery biologists say feather river hatchery fish have die/dot.. true or not?? been seeing the dot for a few years. always wondered. seen biologists cut off 100 maybe 200 feather river fish heads in a couple months last year.. a few stray fish but hundreds of feather river fish.. that's what we put in there and that's what we get back.. seen quite a few fish with a dot die last year... whats up with the dot?
    if you fish for trout you will catch trout!! if you fish for steelhead you might catch steelhead!!

Super Moderator
    Images

Haha. Me too!

Next time you (or anybody) gets a yellow dot salmon get some pics of it, cut a chunk of fin off and contact me. Maybe we can put all of the samples to work and do a genetic association study to see what's going on...

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1 View Post
    Now want know why that dot occurs.

Thank you for the info. Now I am kinda bummed that I don't know where the Salmon came from. Now want know why that dot occurs.

Ban Master

Mark of the beast?

~RNP

Blog Entries

This came up on the Sniffer last fall. Salmonid nailed it. It's a naturally occurring spot - current theory leans towards some kind of lipid concentration in the fish for reasons still not known. One thing's for sure - it not a mark from the hatchery.
    Last edited by Nor_Cal_Drifter; 05-19-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Super Moderator
    Images

Yellow Spots on Chinook and Coho Salmon

Anglers often notice distinct yellow marks that are circular in shape and are often found on the belly near the pelvic fins. Because fisheries professionals use artificial dyes or ink to mark fish, these circular-yellow marks found on Great Lakes Chinook salmon are often misidentified as an artificial mark. However, these marks are not artificial marks used by fisheries professional to track salmon in the Great Lakes, but instead they are naturally occurring in Great Lakes Chinook salmon. These circular-yellow marks are usually noticed in late July through early September as a salmon undergoes the process of maturating and preparing to spawn. In general, there is a good deal of variation in Chinook salmon coloration especially as they start this metamorphosis and are staging prior to running the rivers. What is really unique about these marks as the fish starts to turn from a silvery-white to a yellowish-brown in color is that the areas beginning the change can appear as a perfect yellow spot or circle about the size of a quarter. Again, these spots are naturally occurring pigmentation and not an artificial dye or mark used by fisheries professionals.

DNR - Yellow Spots on Chinook and Coho Salmon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast