Page 1 of 58 12361151 ... LastLast

Re: American river Steelhead

Way to keep at em Ray !!
    For the last few months I was thinking the Mad was going to open May 1st. I was already to go today, that is till I looked at the regs. It opens the fourth Saturday in May :-[
    Hopefully there will still be some Summer runs holding down low in the river by then.

BTW Looks like you got some eats there. Yumm!!

Well, I took a little break from the spring steelie action and showed my brother a few of my honey holes at Folsom Lake. We had an unforgetable day bass fishing last Monday. I set him up with a few of my go-to rigs and keyed him in on where to fish and what to look for. His first time out bass fishing since we were in high school and he had a stellar day... my little brother managed to land 8 fish in just under 4hrs of fishing. Half of his fish were over 4lbs, with his 2 biggest weighing in at 5lbs & 6.25lb. Here's a pic of my biggest of the day in the mouth of his 6lber (BTW both where kept only because they were gut-hooked and bleeding out pretty profusely).

After being temporarily distracted by the action out at the lake, I decided to head back out to the American. I was already up pretty early this morning, as my wife had a long night fighting back pain spurred by her pregnancy. She was very greatful that I had spent most of the night massaging her back, and rubbing out a sudden leg cramp that she developed. As she rolled over, she whispered 6 of the sweetest words I ever heard her say to me ..."Honey, why don't you go fishing". She didn't have to ask me twice!
    I grabbed my gear and bolted to the river. I only had an hour to play with before work, but as things would turn out, it was more than enough time to get into a nice little wild hen. Man, this season just doesn't seem to want to end. There's still some pretty consistent action out there for those willing to get out.

This little beauty took a mini-crawler/peach puffball combo dead drifted with my centerpin. Here's a pic ...

Juts an FYI a few summer fish are starting to show. These fish tend to run a little bigger than their spring counterparts ...typically 3-4 lbs heavier. I realize that there are a lot of other distractions out there right now (shad & linesiders), but if you want a refreshing break from the norm, try for one the summer run steelies ...I'm pretty sure that you won't be dissapointed .

~Ray

Silicon Valley, but fishes heavily in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska
    Blog Entries

I am bringing the salmon rod that Ghostfish made for me... guess I won't be able to use it on the Feather this year...

10' long, rated 10-20... with 10 pound CXX or 12 pound GAMMA (which both break at 20+.

This will be about the heaviest gear that I have ever used for steelhead.

(Just in case)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrome-addict
    [quote author=Dr. K link=1198201287/555#566 date=1209233032]

I went through a period of four years with little or no fishing. *
    Looking forward to the report. It will be like a Birthday treat for me ...my Birthday's on the 7th.

4 YEARS! Yikes [smiley=nerves.gif]!!! Thank God for the Sniffer ...I'll have to live through you guys to make it through :.[/quote]

I feel the same way about your reports!

It is nice to read about you catching fish when work and other "distractions" make it impossible for me to get down to the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K
    The two "small ones" were 14-15 pounds. *I hope we have an adventure to report on when we come back on May 8. *

I went through a period of four years with little or no fishing. *

Kids are fun too!
    Wow that's like comparing inches to pounds when it come to the "small ones" here on the American.

Looking forward to the report. It will be like a Birthday treat for me ...my Birthday's on the 7th.

4 YEARS! Yikes [smiley=nerves.gif]!!! Thank God for the Sniffer ...I'll have to live through you guys to make it through :.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrome-addict
    [quote author=Americansteel link=1198201287/555#559 date=1208976158]ray, do you plan giving the little guys a break!!???? ;D or you gonna stay on these guys till next run ?
    GUILTY AS CHARGED! Yeah, I have been kind of milkin' it because I may not be doing much fishing for a while. My wife and I are expecting our second child in August. According to my wife, play time will be over at least until the kids are in pre-school ...we'll have to see.

THE END,
    ~Ray[/quote]

Its good to hear that you are still picking them off.

I haven't been out for a month... but in seven days, Fin Addict, Ghostfish, and I will be up doing Alaska steelhead. I just talked to the wife of the Lodge manager. She said that she isn't much of an angler but she just caught two small steelhead last week and lost one large one. The two "small ones" were 14-15 pounds. I hope we have an adventure to report on when we come back on May 8.

I went through a period of four years with little or no fishing.

Kids are fun too!

Hey, Ray how about I hire you a nanny, so you can keep fishing... What would the river be without you causing all that trouble out there. No striper for me tomorrow, I may fish for crawdads at Goethe....JT

If I don't here from all you great fishermen out there, be safe and tight lines...JT

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug1964
    I think I am going to start fishing
    far down below. Any suggestions? I am going stripers tomorrow. Kinda burnt out on steelehead. I am glad you got them Ray... JT
    I plan on fishing the Upper a couple more times, then I'll give the spring fish a rest until the larger summer fish start arriving. Next week I'm going to try and put my brother on some smallies (His Birthday wish), then I'll most likely see you downriver. I want to get into some shad and a few of those magnificent linesiders ...maybe even figure a way to get one on the 'ole pin ...I have a few ideas in mind ;D.

~Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Americansteel
    ray, do you plan giving the little guys a break!!???? ;D or you gonna stay on these guys till next run ?
    GUILTY AS CHARGED! Yeah, I have been kind of milkin' it because I may not be doing much fishing for a while. My wife and I are expecting our second child in August. According to my wife, play time will be over at least until the kids are in pre-school ...we'll have to see.

THE END,
    ~Ray

Hey Greg, I tried calling you ...twice! Didn't want you to miss out on the action.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that "this would be the last trip", but the river keeps producing just enough action to keep you hooked ...the season just doesn't seem to want to end.

Page 1 of 58 12361151 ... LastLast