Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

So this all happened around 10:30 am. I was anchored up on a spot catching a few fish. I saw this guy above me, maybe 200 yards didn't think anything of it. On the SJ side about 5 miles wide, no other boats fishing the area. My buddy was hooked up on another fish and this guy comes drifting down right beside us with his trolling motor down. He then continued to drift to the side and eventually right below us about 50 ft. If it was some guy that was an obvious novice to fishing, wouldn't think anything of it. He is a professional fisherman and supposedly knows the proper etiquette of fishing? Maybe I am overreacting, but when I go fishing, especially on a boat I try to stay away from the crowds and find my own fish. I would expect others to do the same. If this was on bank, again wouldn't think anything of it. Just my thoughts.

I just wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts on a distance? Is it 20 ft, 50 yds, 100 yds? I know sturgeon fishing I give others even more room because I would hate someone to lose a fish of a lifetime because they get tied up on the anchor rope.

This is obviously an unsaid rule and very subjective, just wanted to hear other opinions there is no right or wrong.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kashie View Post
    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

Thank you,

Kashie
    My problem was the guy saw me raise my hand then came speeding up then stopped and had an attitude about something , guilty by stupidity ? He say me rasie my hand. I could be Italian and talk that way. then gave me the finger . twice when we seen him and the other people waved.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on if your fishing structure, width of channel or just drifting/trolling. Could be 100 yards or 10 ft. For this case sounded too close thou.
    Fish on!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take offense to that situation, but I wasn't there, so I may not be getting the whole picture. I prefer to think of fishermen as a fraternity of like minded folks and give the benefit of the doubt. It only takes a couple of folks to say come join the party, vs. get off my lawn to make friends on the water. Then again, I've taken offense to certain things too. I covet my days on the water and seems they tend to be more enjoyable when I focus on the good stuff.

Just food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Respecting Personal Water Space

Hello Fellow Fisherman,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

Thank you,

Kashie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12