Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time trolling - spinning reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    My wife HATES baitcasters. But, not really. She cannot cast with a baitcaster for bassfishing, for example, because she does backlash. However, when it comes to trolling for trout, stripers, salmon, etc. she has no issue dropping the gear into the water and letting out as much line as needed with her thumb controlling the speed. She never backlashes this way and it is so much easier to use than spinning rods for trolling. Just saying.
    I hate baitcasters. I will NOT use them. Button over a bail? Really? REALLY? No thank you. I can let out line from a spinning reel just fine. I'll be fishing with a guide (but my own rod and reel) and I'm just not worried. I'm mostly a lake/trout guy but I want to catch salmon so I can say I have. Also to have that many lovely salmon fillets in the freezer sort of...arouses me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    A few reasons I say that: (1) if all you are doing is pushing a button to release line, backlash is not an issue. Make sure to keep your thumb on the spool and feather the line out. Much easier to just push a button to let line out as opposed to opening and closing a bail. (2) Most casting reels used for Salmon will have a level wind, which means you can count the “passes” of the level wind to determine depth. This is very important when determining distance behind the boat or when you want multiple rods running at the same depth. (3) in my opinion casting reels are much better fish-fighting tools for larger fish (no line twist, easier drag adjustment, better drag, etc.) but I’m sure that could be a matter for debate.
    My wife HATES baitcasters. But, not really. She cannot cast with a baitcaster for bassfishing, for example, because she does backlash. However, when it comes to trolling for trout, stripers, salmon, etc. she has no issue dropping the gear into the water and letting out as much line as needed with her thumb controlling the speed. She never backlashes this way and it is so much easier to use than spinning rods for trolling. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherWilliams View Post
    What makes you write that? Backlash and other things has kept me away from baitcasters my entire life and I'll STILL use a spinning reel over a bait caster. No bait casters for me.
    A few reasons I say that: (1) if all you are doing is pushing a button to release line, backlash is not an issue. Make sure to keep your thumb on the spool and feather the line out. Much easier to just push a button to let line out as opposed to opening and closing a bail. (2) Most casting reels used for Salmon will have a level wind, which means you can count the “passes” of the level wind to determine depth. This is very important when determining distance behind the boat or when you want multiple rods running at the same depth. (3) in my opinion casting reels are much better fish-fighting tools for larger fish (no line twist, easier drag adjustment, better drag, etc.) but I’m sure that could be a matter for debate.
    Last edited by Nor_Cal_Drifter; 12-27-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bankie View Post

Please tell me I'm wrong when you trim the main motor up it does direct your forward motion up and that would cause you boats stern to go down and the bow up? Like a jet boat with a Berkeley pump, with a place diverter you direct the proportion down to bring the stern up and the bow down on the water line of the draft of your boat at low speeds and at higher speeds it will shoot a rooster tail off the back of the jet boat. Just a thought.

place diverter.jpg
    Yep, I miss-spoke. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    ...baitcasters are more user friendly for trolling but spinning will work fine in the meantime.
    What makes you write that? Backlash and other things has kept me away from baitcasters my entire life and I'll STILL use a spinning reel over a bait caster. No bait casters for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Trimming up the main motor works by pushing most of your motors thrust out of the water and also by pushing your bow down into the water to create more drag.

Please tell me I'm wrong when you trim the main motor up it does direct your forward motion up and that would cause you boats stern to go down and the bow up? Like a jet boat with a Berkeley pump, with a place diverter you direct the proportion down to bring the stern up and the bow down on the water line of the draft of your boat at low speeds and at higher speeds it will shoot a rooster tail off the back of the jet boat. Just a thought.

place diverter.jpg
    Last edited by Bankie; 11-03-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: editing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlind View Post
    I second the trolling/drift bags as a clean and easy to store solution. If putting them on the front cleats, you'll definitely need 2 to balance the steering.

Basically what it comes down to is FIRST to trim your main motor up as far as possible and SECOND drag whatever you can in the water to slow you down. I used to lower my bow mount trolling motor when it was dead to provide even more drag to slow the boat down. Trimming up the main motor works by pushing most of your motors thrust out of the water and also by pushing your bow down into the water to create more drag.

There's a lot of good advice on this site!

Good luck!
    Oh! Brilliant. I really appreciate your comprehensive explanation jlind, that makes total sense - thank you for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First time trolling - spinning reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    My recommendation on lowering your trolling speed: Amish trolling bags. Look that up. I bought my 18' Crestliner in March, equipped with a 150hp 4 stroke Mercury. No trolling motor. We got the boat as slow as 4 mpg, not slow enough. I didn't want to purchase and mount a trolling motor and I certainly wasn't going to drill holes in my new motor and mount a plate. So, I was recommended a pair of size 18" Amish trolling bags and they work amazingly well. I just attached them to the front left and right side cleat, just under the bow, well away from any trolling gear. We've since trolled for trout, stripers and salmon at speeds as low as 1.7 mph. Just a thought.
    Cool, thanks for the info trout. I had come across those in researching glad to hear they work! we have a bounty of free 5 gallon buckets given husband is in construction, so may try those first but if that doesn’t get us to trolling speed will try the trolling bags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rosietheaussie; 10-30-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Digging the Amish bags, I do not want to store a kicker.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the trolling/drift bags as a clean and easy to store solution. If putting them on the front cleats, you'll definitely need 2 to balance the steering.

Basically what it comes down to is FIRST to trim your main motor up as far as possible and SECOND drag whatever you can in the water to slow you down. I used to lower my bow mount trolling motor when it was dead to provide even more drag to slow the boat down. Trimming up the main motor works by pushing most of your motors thrust out of the water and also by pushing your bow down into the water to create more drag.

There's a lot of good advice on this site!

Good luck!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast