Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solar Panels to keep a float charge while fishing?

I have a one amp panel that I hook up while not fishing (aka drinking) when I go camping. It allows me to fish the weekend on one charge for whatever that's worth. 93Ah battery and a 40lb. Minnkota.

-Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdgs View Post
    The only problem with that one is that is the size. Its 45x20x5 and thats going to take up some room. I suppose you could mount it like a bimini top.

I have an onboard charger so I carry a Honda Eu2000 Generator. I mainly use it when the boats in a slip so I don't have to haul the batteries or the boat out everyday. I was warned to never run it without good air circulation around it so I make sure I don't do that. These will set you back about 1,000.00 so and the onboard charger is between 150-250.00 for a good single battery charger. it's not as cheap as a solar panel but there's no doubt it will get the job done.

+1 on the generator, you can pick up a portable one at many home improvement stores. A good inverter works too. If you only want to suplement power however use a kicker motor, they are not as quiet (as a electric trolling motor), but easier than a generator running on the boat........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    For a solar charger for a setup that will get it done I would step it up a notch. Trolling motors use alot of amps so you need a little more to charge them.......Jetspray

NPower 40 Watt Amorphous Solar Panel with included 7 amp Charge Controller | Amorphous Solar Panels| Northern Tool + Equipment
    The only problem with that one is that is the size. Its 45x20x5 and thats going to take up some room. I suppose you could mount it like a bimini top.

I have an onboard charger so I carry a Honda Eu2000 Generator. I mainly use it when the boats in a slip so I don't have to haul the batteries or the boat out everyday. I was warned to never run it without good air circulation around it so I make sure I don't do that. These will set you back about 1,000.00 so and the onboard charger is between 150-250.00 for a good single battery charger. it's not as cheap as a solar panel but there's no doubt it will get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

For a solar charger for a setup that will get it done I would step it up a notch. Trolling motors use alot of amps so you need a little more to charge them.......Jetspray

NPower 40 Watt Amorphous Solar Panel with included 7 amp Charge Controller | Amorphous Solar Panels| Northern Tool + Equipment
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that is trying this now he is getting i think a 10 and is going to try to 1. mount it to the boat some how and have it set up to an inverter i think and then to the battery 2. for camping to charge the battery's we have that are extra's while we troll. Ill get back to you as soon as we see if it works BTW he is getting the panel through Amazon for a good deal

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the sniffer. I can't offer any advice but am curious as to the response you get. Good luck!

Fish on!
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Solar Panels to keep a float charge while fishing?

Hello,

Has anybody successfully tried to connect a 5 or 10 watt solar panel to your marine battery while using your trolling motor? My goal is to slow down the discharge to extend my time on the water. I am already tired of lugging my marine battery out to the boat (I have pretty strong legs, but am stereotypically weak armed lady) and will replace this battery with 2 deep cycle wheelchair batteries that weigh 23 lbs each.

Thanks in advance!
    susu1969