Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help please

From Sacbee's Fishing Line: Week of July 3, 2013:

SACRAMENTO RIVER - Fishing for shaker-sized striped bass provided lots of action but few legal (greater than 18 inches) fish. It's around ten shakers to every keeper, which is likely to be no more than 21 inches long. Courtland, So. River Road, and Miller Park continued to be the best spots. Fishing for catfish to about 5 pounds continued to be good in slow spots on the main river, the Deep Water Channel and in Sutter Slough.

Read more here: Fishing Line: Week of July 3, 2013 - Outdoors - The Sacramento Bee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Big baits/Big fish. Try a live bluegill if legal where you are fishing, my striper buddy swears by them, and I've seen his pictures.
    Yeah, I saw a guy down in Walnut Grove have a decent 20 plus inch fish on a live gill. I went tossing topwater plugs and bombers last night and this morning all for nothing other than a fish, most likely a bass, grabbed my worm trailer while working across a sandbar.

Like Hamachi said, the big resident fish have fresh American shad en masse, little threadfins and all of the bass fry and such to target right now as opposed to chasing my pencil poppers. I'll probably make an all night trip one of these days of just casting topwaters and bombers. I've made it my goal before going back to school in August to get at least one keeper doing so from shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi_Kamas View Post
    This time of year, it's going to be the low light hours if you want a shot at a big resident fish. The clearer, cooler waters like the AR, some of the delta sloughs and other tributaries might produce a premium grade if you work for it, "work" in this instance meaning the real possibility of a skunk or one monster bite. This is the time of year when soaking big baits in the evening work well. We alway see a monster caught by someone this time of year in the middle of the night. Keep in mind too that when there are active feeders on top busting bait, they can be very difficult to catch if there is a ton of bait for them to pick off. Frustration mounts, but keep trying.

It's not easy. In fact, its very difficult to get the good bite this time of year. Better to be lucky than good during the summer, but being out there trying helps to increase the luck factor exponentially. Big live baits or chucking TW is as good a way to get the big bite.

I tend to look at it this way - The summer striper slog keeps your skills sharp for when the fish show en masse. And with the occasional reward, it makes it all worth it. When the run fish show, your game will be spot on. Good luck out there!
    Big baits/Big fish. Try a live bluegill if legal where you are fishing, my striper buddy swears by them, and I've seen his pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year, it's going to be the low light hours if you want a shot at a big resident fish. The clearer, cooler waters like the AR, some of the delta sloughs and other tributaries might produce a premium grade if you work for it, "work" in this instance meaning the real possibility of a skunk or one monster bite. This is the time of year when soaking big baits in the evening work well. We alway see a monster caught by someone this time of year in the middle of the night. Keep in mind too that when there are active feeders on top busting bait, they can be very difficult to catch if there is a ton of bait for them to pick off. Frustration mounts, but keep trying.

It's not easy. In fact, its very difficult to get the good bite this time of year. Better to be lucky than good during the summer, but being out there trying helps to increase the luck factor exponentially. Big live baits or chucking TW is as good a way to get the big bite.

I tend to look at it this way - The summer striper slog keeps your skills sharp for when the fish show en masse. And with the occasional reward, it makes it all worth it. When the run fish show, your game will be spot on. Good luck out there!
    HKSLAYS MULTIMEDIA FISHING

Post Thanks / Like

Was out last dusk to night, more or less in the general Freeport area. Was casting ratltraps for little shakers and landed 3 of them. Largest was about 12 inches. Of course as night starts to fall and the sun dipped behind the levee, I start seeing fins on top of the water, and hearing those big splashes of the big ones coming up from their dark summertime cooler water homes and feeding on top, chasing shad. Saw about 4 good size fish....and what do I have with me? Ratltraps and crappie jigs.

Point being, I'm going back out tonight at the same time with my surf casting rod. Bombers, bucktails and a pencil popper will be the weapons of choice. Wish me luck gentlmen.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake San Antonio. Every striper is a DD. and right now they are boiling.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't we all like to catch 10 to 20# striper......Even those of us that are very experienced are truly greatful to have a DD fish pulling on the other end of the line (especially during the summer striper duldrums).....Unfortunately they aren't as common as they used to be....& when I am fortunate enought to get that DD fish....It goes back in the drink (after some pics & high 5's).

4 to 9# fish pull plenty hard....and are fun as hell to catch....don't cut them short....Light tackle is the way to go.

The best way to increase your odds is to just put in the time in on the water....But if you expect consistent DD fish after only a few trips your setting yourself up for dissapointment & heartbreak. Take the time & scroll through the Striper board & you will pick up a lot of good info.

Alot of good advice above....but its no good unless its being applied.....Good luck
    C U Guys on the Water.........

Post Thanks / Like

Sardines will most likely attract shakers all day. You can use the technique above to catch bait. Best bait would be blue gill, sucker, or split tail. Then hook that up and send it out set your clicker, wait for screaming drag, count to 5 engage reel, let rod bendo then set the hook and fight fish. That could get you a fish from 5 to 40+ lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlurryEyed View Post
    I would fish the Sacramento River if you want keepers and get a two pole stamp. Put one rod out soaking bait (Anchovie/sardine is my preference) and then use a casting setup to throw swimbaits (I like Powerbait Shad). Rinse/repeat/report back! Make sure you're fishing early morning or late afternoon, you won't get much in between in my experience.
    Totally agreeing with this tactic. The fish are in the Sac near my house around Freeport right now. You have to remember, stripers travel in schools and the resident fish here right now are like wolves pushing bait up onto the shorelines and rock banks. Well, little baby wolves in the sense that most are shakers. If you locate one of these schools, which isn't hard, you just need to weed through the little fish to get a decent keeper. I'm not sure about 10 or 20 pounds, but 18 inches plus fish are mixed in with the little shakers in the Sac. If you want a sizable resident fish, I'd get some topwater plugs and wake up at 5AM and drive over to the American River.

Two poles is the way to go. I don't have a two pole stamp, but I carry two rods with me. One being an ultralite rod rigged with 3 splitshots above a hook you would use for trout, then bait it with a nightcrawler and the second rod being a larger 7 foot medium bait rod rigged with a 1/2 oz drift sinker to a 5/0 hook.

Basically bait your bigger rod with a sardine fillet and don't bother with it until you locate a school of stripers by casting and drift fishing the nightcrawler. Cast and let the current carry it down, twitching it across the bottom as you go. Stripers will hit it. Once you land a few shakers, you know they're there. Put that rod down and cast out your sardine rig on the other rod into the same spot. Wait for the bigger tugs. The bigger fish are going to key in on that protein before the little ones can. Got a few decent keepers using this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney93 View Post
    Alright, what would u say is my best bet tho? Sacromento river? Feather river? American river? Or any other one near by
    American River by Nimbus would do you better than anywhere else...from the bank.
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast