Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your Favorite Aspect in fishing with a Flyrod?

Watching a dry fly suddenly disappear and it is trout on is simply awesome
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree there. Dry flies are where it's at. As an amateur fly guy I have problems fishing nymphs anyways, indicator or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing classic dry flys. Catching trout on classic drys that were invented 60 or 70 or more years ago is a rush. Flys like the royal coachman, quill Gordon, Adams, light Cahill and on and on.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 12-31-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather hike and cast and not ever catch anything, just getting out and fishing, hiking and enjoying the outdoors, this is my GYM!

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I think for me it is getting more in touch with nature and your senses. I especially like the sound of the Riffles, a rise, a splash, ducks overhead. And Gereral overall peacefulness and serenity you don't get with a running motor or mechanical gear - and the primitiveness of just having only a bug on the end of a very long string.

Oh, and wearing that lanyard around your neck with all those little tool - thingys on it.

Big Game
    Fishing Defined: A Jerk on one end of a line waiting for a Jerk on the other.

Post Thanks / Like

It's almost a zen quality...feeling in tune with the current, the insect hatch, the feeding (or not feeding fish) and the overall serenity.

As an added bonus in my experience fly fishers are more respectful of privacy and space than others - I wish that weren't so but I've rarely had another fly fisher cast into a pool or run I'm working (except one or two fishing buddies who got jealous of my success or were just messing with me!) but I have had spin/bait fishers encroach or actually cast right into and through the area I'm working. That may just be indicative of where common courtesy has gone in our society versus what type of gear is being used but I notice it almost exclusively as a category of fishing gear.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent done very much freshwater trout/salmon fishing, but saltwater fly fishing has been a longtime passion of mine. I got my triple 20 years ago in costa rica/panama (bonefish-permit-tarpon) and I was hooked (no pun intended) Now I'm older, slower, with wife, kids and dealing with day to day life there never seems to be enough free time for anything....

Turn ons:
    Long walks on the beach for stripers & perch, stalking corbina at mission beach, shallow water rockfish in monterey, the delta, down south for pelagics and calicos and our families once and while trip back east to cape cod to visit relatives and to fish for bluefish and stripers. All these places make me feel warm and fuzzy.

My situation:
    Ive been throwing 9 & 11wt rods, 300 grain lines with 300-500g shooting heads and heavy flies. Not a lot of finesse or false casting with this setup. Its basically a couple hauls and let her rip. It gets the fly out there into the zone (deep) and keeps it there for a bit.
    A ling on the fly is my next quest.... hopefully to be fullfilled soon.

Back to the question at hand:
    So What is my Favorite Aspect in fishing with a Flyrod?
    For me there too many things to sum it up into one sentence.
    But I guess it's.. gearing up, being alone, the focus involved, the challenge of stalking and casting to an elusive fish that may or may not eat your offering. BUT ultimately it's the FISH ON!! part, that keeps me coming back for more abuse.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it is because sometimes the fish just want a fly. It is hard to fish skinny water In high elevation with gear.

Post Thanks / Like

At my age..........

still being able to se the eye of the fly and tie it on !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
    I know Orvis offers free basic fly casting lessons. I have been tempted to take them up on that but have yet to make my way out there. Plus every fish I catch on the fly gives me a false sense of security that my casting is fine! haha I should make sure.

Casting is the easy part. It is casting to set yourself up properly for a drag free drift that is crucial. Take them up on their classes, you will never be sorry for taking a casting class!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast