Thread: First Time Out

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Out

Hey Currdog7, when I make it out to the ditch, I carry a rope with a burlap sack (gunnysack) tied to the end of it. If you get so lucky as to hang a nice size striper, getting it up and out of the concrete river can prove to be more than your fishing line can handle. Here is what we do. Have your partner toss the burlap sack into the water while hanging onto the end of the rope. He will drag it over to the edge where the water and concrete meet. You drag your giant striper over to the edge and pull it onto the wet sack. Your partner can then pull the heavy fish up the side using the rope and not strain your fishing line. If someone falls in, the rope and sack can also be used to help the person get over to the side and to a ladder. They can also call for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Dog its really nor that bad if u take typical precautions. Use heavier test line and there is no reason u should need to go near the water. I fish aquaduct all the time. Never once had to go down the steep part of bank. Just pulled the fish right up the side.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about trying it out but after what fishnbeer said I think I will stick with the delta for my striper. Sounds like it might be a good idea to wear a PFD when fishing there
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise against falling into the aqueduct. If you fall in you cant climb out. Too steep, to slippery. There are metal ladder rungs every hundred yards or so you can use to climb out if you do fall in. Be careful next to gates/dams etc. The water tends to swirl and boil up which will suck you under and possibly drag you into the gate. Having a buddy there will only serve as a witness, or a second victim. Be careful

Post Thanks / Like

The warning signs are just to cover the state incase anyone falls in. With sign in place it releases all liability to the state. U can still fish no problem just "enter at your own risk".

Post Thanks / Like

Ya definantly dont go alone. Strong current and even if u have someone with u still not completely safe. Just know where u are in the ditch at all times and know how far the save me line is in front of u. Iv fished there many times and always get good action. Fun place to take a newb for striper. Just be aware of your surroundings. I have never seen a "thug" there. I think they got better things to do. Like go to bar and look for thugettes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished the concrete river and am curious regarding the warning to never fish it alone. I assume it is because if you fall in without someone to help you get out it could be your last fishing adventure?? I have also heard that at night a person may run into some low life thug types around there. I don't have any plans to fish it but it sounds like it can be quite productive.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Currdog7, I have fished the cement river quite a bit. Your story about your rod getting snapped by the wind reminded me when I was out on the ditch behind Wesley. I had taken a lawn chair with me and was in it waiting for a bite, (which usually doesn't take long), when all of a sudden my rod tip went down, I jumped up to set the hook, the wind gust came up at the same time and blew my new lawnchair into the ditch. Moral to the story....don't take lawnchairs. As far as tips for fishing the ditch.....Don't go alone. The fish get active when the gates are up (current flow). Don't go alone. You can fish it like a stream....,fish a spot for a few minutes, then move about 10 yrds and try again. Use the same baits that you would use in the Delta, after all, it coming right out of the Delta. Don't go alone. I use just enough weight that when I cast out into the middle, the current will wash my terminal gear back toward me and stop where the side meets the bottom. If its too light, your bait will wash up on the side, and I have had better luck down at the seam between the bottom and side. I make it a point to always keep my vehicle in sight, and one more thing......Don't go alone. Good luck and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish around the bend and gates. Try jerk bait like LC pointer.

Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence.

Post Thanks / Like

First Time Out

So I have lived here for three years and usually just try for trout at Melones, but I made an airport run to Oakland so I thought I would try the CA Aqueduct off of Grant Line Road.

For my first time out and not really knowing what to do, I caught one 17" striper on Shad. I set up with 3-way swivel with a 12" lead into a 2oz weight and then about a 30" lead into a 2/0 hook with a dead shad on it.

Missed a couple other bites. Also was using a second pole with a Silver Rat L Trap on it.

Any tips on set up to get more hits and catch more fish appreciated. That fish fought and after that I want to try some more.

On a bad note it got really windy and I set pole half inside my trunk while I leaned down to get my tackle box a wind gust blew the truck shut and snapped my pole.

Thanks