Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Donner or Tahoe for Macks

Thanks All,

I don't plan to fish up there until the spring but will call ahead and try to get a handle on it.

Good Fishing,

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

One problem you might have this time of year is getting to the inspection station dry. With snow & ice it would be hard to get to the ramp without water and road grime on the boat and trailer.

Their prior practice for a "wet boat" did allow a decon which was to hook hot water to the water intake and let it cycle. You probably can't do that with a jet, so it's an issue. You might get away with a wipe down if the inside of the boat is dry.

Worth a call and check along with checking the ramps are open from snow.

It's a hassle but worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with your jet drive but as long as it is a four stroke and it is free of any water in its system, i don't see why it would not pass.
    As far as restrictions on baits....if live baits, they must be sourced from the lakes themselves. Otherwise its whatever you like in hard and soft baits. If you want Macks, you better have downriggers or good luck. I catch most of mine in the 80-250 foot range, depending on season. Browns and rainbows can be caught along the shore but it takes patience and the right conditions. Dodders with flat fish or live minnows are your best bets. IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Donner or Tahoe for Macks

I am hoping to fish Donner or Tahoe this spring for Mackinaw. I've never fished for Mackinaw before or launched a boat in that area since the inspection process began.

I have a North River Commander with a Hamilton Jet drive. It has a flush out kit I installed for the heat exchanger and risers, but the boat can't be run out of the water. Has anyone been through the inspection process in Tahoe with a Hamilton Jet drive? If so, anything I need to be aware of or is it even possible to pass considering I can't start the boat (we do the clean, drained, dry thing here in Santa Clara County, but I understand Tahoe's inspection process is much more involved). Thanks!

Are there any unique tackle laws to Sierra Mackinaw that I need to be aware of?

Many thanks and Happy New Year,

Rob