Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead line setup

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lead line setup

Personally, if you have downriggers already, continue to use them but with longer leads. I have tried going back and forth between leadcore and downriggers and always choose downriggers: you know exactly how deep your lure is.

As for the mono vs fluoro debate, unless you fish really clear water (+10' visibility), there is no real advantage to fluoro, especially when you are targeting kokanee. They are not that line shy and most store bought koke lures with leaders are 10-15lb mono. As for stretch, Seaguar fluoro's have as much if not more stretch than most mono's on the market. What tricks people into thinking fluoro's have less stretch is that they are more sensitive than mono due to different materials being used. "They" believe being able to feel something means it has less stretch.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 05-22-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Snowtrout, pretty cool sounding setups. I think I'll start with something similar to your #1 setup, I'm just going back and forth a little on that mono vs fluoro topper. Seems fluoro will provide more stealth but have always heard of the stretch advantage with mono, and could possibly use this setup for kokes.

I ended up up with the Suffix 832 advanced and did go with the 18# line. Not much larger in diameter over the 12 but read some reviews about the 12 not always holding up in the long run.

Your setup #2 is pretty cool also. Prolly a bit more advanced than what I'm after right now but could definitely see using something like that in the future. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts:
    If you think your downrigger ball is scaring fish, go to a longer setback. I will let out 100-150' of line before attaching the line to the release if fishing down 5-15'. If fishing deeper than 25', I usually let out 50-100'. All depends on depth you are fishing, water clarity and species targeting.

If leadcore is what you want to try, here are two different ideas.

Set-up #1: 30-60' of 10-12lb mono or fluoro leader (keeps the 30' spacing like the leadcore), 5-10 colors of 18lb leadcore (depends on how big your reel is) braid or mono as backing. This is perfect for those who let the line out and put the rod in the holder.

Set-up #2: 20' of 12-16lb leader, 40' 30lb braid, three colors of 18lb leadcore, 15' of 30lb braid, one color of 18lb leadcore, 15' of 30lb braid, one color 18lb leadcore, the rest of the line 30lb braid (backing). This is my brown trout/trophy fish set-up. The idea is that I will let out 3 colors of leadcore and stop on the braid. If I need more depth, I let out the next color and stop on the braid. The reason for the type of setup is because I rip troll. By having the braid at the rod tip instead of the leadcore, I do not have to worry about the lead breaking at that 90 degree angle, causing it to fray the sheath and leading to breakoffs. It works well, lasts a long time but takes a toil on your arm/shoulder.

Get 18lb leadcore. 12 & 15 are not heavy enough, unless you are going 1mph, to get down to +20' with 5 colors with most lures. Plus, 18lb and 27lb are the same size lead, only the sheath is a different size.

Look into the Sufix Performance Lead core. It's expensive but from what I have heard and seen, it's the next generation of lead core: smaller diameter and less water resistance/drag due to the sheath material.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Okazaco, that's what I got, the Suffix Advanced 832, 20# Power Pro, and I picked up both 8 & 10# fluoro. I'll have to see how much lead I can get on the 5500, prolly 3-4 colors. I think I'll just go with 100 yds of power pro but we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the new Suffix superbraid leadcore. Much smaller diameter and improved sink rate means less line out needed for depth and you can feel more of the fight. 2x more expensive than normal leadcore, but it lasts years. A little more prone to kinks and knots due to small diameter, but worth it in my mind.

I load 5 colors on 6500C3's backed by 30# power pro with a 100' 10# fluorocarbon topshot for spring and fall fishing when I believe there are fish in the top 20-25' in the mother lode lakes

My memory isn't what it used to be, but seem to recall that we were getting down 16'-18' on 3.5 to 4 colors pulling 1/4 oz speedy shiners and mooselook at 3mph at Almanor the last time we pulled topline and leadcore gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That actually helps a lot Bob, sounds like a good setup. I'll rig up with that or something close to it. Thanks everyone, I think this will make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this will help but this is what i run on my lead core set up.
    It's sorta like the one in Cals video but i've modified it.
    Mind you that i count colors not what the line counter reel say's.
    200 yards or so of 25ft meterd power pro,3 - 4 colors of sufix lead core and 50-60 feet of 8lb
    flora carbon leader.
    I know the 60 feet may seem a bit much.
    But i troll with a 60hp motor with a trolling plate.I figure that the 60 feet of leader plus how many colors i have out puts me away from the prop wash so i don't spook the fish.
    I do know that it works for me.
    If i need to be corrected by someone feel free.
    I'm always ready to learn something new.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Burninfuel, thanks for the info. That's a good start, I'll check out the Power Pro and some of the others.

Sscheffer, just trolling for trout. This spring I've found some flats they've been sitting on in about 40' of water, the fish have been suspended 10-40', and I've had a hard time getting anything to bite. I keep thinking that I want to ditch the downrigger weights in the shallower water and minimize the clutter.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you fishing for. I typically run 15lb leadcore with a leader that goes from the face of the reel through the eyes and back to the reel. I use a 8'6" rod and that length works out great since the critical fight at the boat is on the leader.

Lead core ratings are break strength and have almost nothing to do with sink rate. The fatter the line the more it will rise as speed increases. I find that I can get a max of 25 feet down with 3-4 colors at about 1.25 mph. Faster speeds require more colors in the water but don't think you're going to fish deeper than about 25 ft by using heavier line. I can get 6 colors (180 ft) of 15 lb on my 400 class wide body reels. You typically don't need any more than that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember right now, 18# lead, some 15# lead Suffix might be the brand.
    my buddy is running some Cabelas and the lead is coming out of the nylon/dacron covering. I is loose braid and also colors don't stay very well, bleading on first couple time and then fade.
    power pro has some new leadcore and drops faster than the usual 5' drop for 30' of color, speed is also a variance.
    The power pro lead core is powerbraid and micro lead, drops 5' for color of 25' long, colors are 4 and repeats back around.
    we jig our lures and that must streach the line and lead, causing my buddy's line to have lead sticking out 1/2" doubled and several per foot, especially the first color at the leader.
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast