Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot dogs - Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoJack View Post
    Hot dogs are not my favorite bait but they do catch catfish.

They have the advantages of being cheap and readily available. With proper prep and storage they last a long time.

Hot dogs are soft and tend to break off during a cast. There are several ways to toughen them up.

Pickling. Add the dogs to a ziplock or other container and pour in enough plain old white vinegar to cover. Add some crushed garlic for added scent and flavor. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Another way to pickle. Add the dogs or chunks to liquid from a jar of pickles. Even easier, add them to an existing jar of pickles or peppers.

Bait cures such as those from ProCure also work well to toughen up hot dogs. I cure my own corn, and the corn cures, 'plain' or the one with dye, work very well with dogs.

Forget the coat hanger thing. They make too big a hole. They take time to make. The notch is as likely as not going to cut you line.

You can get baiting needles, usually 2 to 3 to a package, for a couple of dollars.

I use baiting needles intended for carp fishing. They have a hook or gate notch on the end so you do not have to 'thread' your line as you would with the baiting needle.

download.jpg

182299396799-0_large.jpg

I pre-tie hooks with a loop knot on the other end. Run the needle through the bait,hook the loop and pull the leader back through the bait.

ProCure makes a bait needle. I have never used one but they look promising. Probably a little easier to find.

Worm threaders are easily found. They make too big a hole in a dog or worm for that matter. The carp needles or other baiting needles work much better [on worms, too].

There is never a reason to place hot dogs or any other catfish bait in the sun to 'cure'/rot/putrefy.

Catfish are deeply offended by the notion that they only eat dead, rotted or putrefied stuff.

When I fish, I do not use baits with smells that are likely to make me vomit.
    Biggest channel cat I have seen at New Hogan was caught on KFC ...a thigh as I remember

Post Thanks / Like

Hot dogs - Revisited

Hot dogs are not my favorite bait but they do catch catfish.

They have the advantages of being cheap and readily available. With proper prep and storage they last a long time.

Hot dogs are soft and tend to break off during a cast. There are several ways to toughen them up.

Pickling. Add the dogs to a ziplock or other container and pour in enough plain old white vinegar to cover. Add some crushed garlic for added scent and flavor. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Another way to pickle. Add the dogs or chunks to liquid from a jar of pickles. Even easier, add them to an existing jar of pickles or peppers.

Bait cures such as those from ProCure also work well to toughen up hot dogs. I cure my own corn, and the corn cures, 'plain' or the one with dye, work very well with dogs.

Forget the coat hanger thing. They make too big a hole. They take time to make. The notch is as likely as not going to cut you line.

You can get baiting needles, usually 2 to 3 to a package, for a couple of dollars.

I use baiting needles intended for carp fishing. They have a hook or gate notch on the end so you do not have to 'thread' your line as you would with the baiting needle.

download.jpg

182299396799-0_large.jpg

I pre-tie hooks with a loop knot on the other end. Run the needle through the bait,hook the loop and pull the leader back through the bait.

ProCure makes a bait needle. I have never used one but they look promising. Probably a little easier to find.

Worm threaders are easily found. They make too big a hole in a dog or worm for that matter. The carp needles or other baiting needles work much better [on worms, too].

There is never a reason to place hot dogs or any other catfish bait in the sun to 'cure'/rot/putrefy.

Catfish are deeply offended by the notion that they only eat dead, rotted or putrefied stuff.

When I fish, I do not use baits with smells that are likely to make me vomit.
    David

The only time a fisherman is telling the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar.