Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recipe for Macks

Take the dark meat off the back of that fillet and it's good any way you want. One of my favorites is to dredge the fillet in "Paul Prudhommes blackened redfish magic" put a slice of butter and drop in a red hot cast iron skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Turn your vent fan on and get ready for a smoke out. Serve with lemon. I cooked it for 30@ a wedding and everyone loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

First you'll need the old fashion webber kettle. Filet the mack leaving the skin on and rib bones in, rinse off. Mix a rub of 1/3 salt to 2/3 brown sugar sprinkle and rub in over meat side, don't wash off. Build a fair size bed of briquettes' coals in the back edge of the Webber, when the coals are ready place approx. 2 hand full of wood chips over the hot coals then pace your filets skin side down on the front edge (indirect), depending on the thickness of the filets cook approx. 45 min. with the lid on. don't add anymore chips. You want to see the oil oozing out of the filet and some bubbling up of the oil. Serve hot with some rice and leaving out the darker lateral line flesh. Lots of folks look down on Macks however, I found them very tasteeee !!!!!! oily and juicy like ocean Salmon. Whalonem

3. Likes OYD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with prior comments, remove the lateral line (dark meat), on most fish really, but Macks especially.

I smoke most of mine. Just personal preference, but they work well that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: Bill

I have tried several ways and always come back to the old standby; Egg wash, flour, panko, salt/pepper, fry in hot oil. Now; the thing I have noticed is you must get all the dark off the filet, no skin and cook it fast (2 -3 minutes per side) or it will dry out. As far as freezing the fish, I do it all the time and notice no difference I do freeze in water. works for me, for what its worth
    Hercules

PS
    Got the new H-bird and tried it out last week, seems OK, but I will need to read the book a few times to learn all or most of the settings. I did notice the GPS with Lakemaster Plus was "jerky" at the boat icon, I hope there is a setting to calm this down. 10 inch has a nice picture and can see in the sun with no problems. Haven't tried the side imaging yet. so far so good

Post Thanks / Like

Poached

Filet it, skin it, remove the lateral line and cut into bite size cubes. Butter in a skillet, saute garlic, onion, and garlic salt, pepper till the onions just turn brown. Add a 1/2 bottle of Marcella wine and cook off the alcohol . Then add the fish and poach it in the sauce. Add mushrooms too. Serve over rice and with your favorite steamed veges. Killer!

On larger Macks it's easier to cut into steaks, then remove the skin and lateral line and the bones.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Never freeze the meat, hi oily taste and burps every few minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
    I am Looking for a new recipe for cooking up macks. Baked, BBQ'ed..whatever. If you got one to share ..please do.

Cut off all belly fat,,mix some garlic and black pepper into some Mayonaise. Spread mayo inside fish if whole or on fillets. Put in foil and then BBQ. They take a long time to cook compared to other fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Recipe for Macks

I am Looking for a new recipe for cooking up macks. Baked, BBQ'ed..whatever. If you got one to share ..please do.
    Last edited by Bill Brown; 07-09-2017 at 06:21 AM.