Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help for salmon fishing on foot

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    +10 QAR! All these guys want to do is divide and conquer fisherman. I dont give a rats,ass how they get them as long as its leagal method and no wanton waste just for eggs.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

+10 QAR! All these guys want to do is divide and conquer fisherman. I dont give a rats,ass how they get them as long as its leagal method and no wanton waste just for eggs.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Saw it coming a few years back when Flossing Got bad the affects are on Steel head too , If they want they Can shut other sections of the river as well to keep fish going upstream healthy and eliminate the flossing and the other crap that has been ongoing for years.we all suffer because of a few .Enjoy it while you can.
    It's a put and take system
    They have no reason to restrict any harvest. Especially on steelhead, read your report card they want you to take hatchery fish out of the system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4. Likes CAL.NDN, Kaban12, Jimmy_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

Post Thanks / Like

Saw it coming a few years back when Flossing Got bad the affects are on Steel head too , If they want they Can shut other sections of the river as well to keep fish going upstream healthy and eliminate the flossing and the other crap that has been ongoing for years.we all suffer because of a few .Enjoy it while you can.
    Stefanoflo :)
    A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    So what you are saying is... You have no actual proof.
    Not IRON CLAD proof.... I'll take any bets you want to make though.

For those who have fished salmon on the AR over 20 years... know that the weir used to go up late - September, then mid Sept. then late August, mid August and now, the catwalk and gate forms are already in place since the first week of July.

CDFW says it's to repair the gates. I say it's part of the plan to slowly ween folks from fishing the area.

8. Likes Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steeliesNstripers View Post
    It has been in the makings for years.

Many years ago, the Fish and Game Commission identified three scenarios for the aged and failing weir below Hazel Ave.

1) upgrade/modify/repair the existing weir
    2) completely replace the weir
    3) remove the weir and reroute the fish ladder so that the entrance is in the Nimbus Basin.

CDFG (as named at the time and still the name of the commission even though the department itself is now CDFW) knew that there would be lots of public outcry if the 3rd option was chosen.

As the years went on, more and more people fished the basin and poached in the basin. For every year I can remember, someone has breached the weir by lifting a section or multiple sections of gate/pickets to allow salmon in to the basin (once the ladder is open and fish processing begins).

DFW has less and less money and staff to combat the problem.

More and more, salmon are being harvested and zipped open/wasted for over-limits of roe to sell on mostly the Russian/Ukrainian black market and by all ethnicities to use for sturgeon roe.

When big brother wants to make a change, he does so in small increments so fewer people notice and even fewer rally against it (as in the twin tunnels...) so here is the turn of events:

1) Rumor has it that the basin is going to close to vehicle traffic
    2) Fisherman Ivan gets his truck stuck in basin and it gets flooded
    3) DWR determines that it is a 'safety hazard' to have cars and trucks in basin so they are outlawed
    4) Gates go in and stay locked and basin access is only permissible by foot
    5) Aquatic center (managed jointly by DWR/Cal STATE PARKS and UC Sacramento) place restrictive signs warning of citations to vehicles parked at the Lake Natoma Aquatic Center overlooking southern, high wall of Nimbus Basin
    6) Iron Ranger goes in at Aqua Center parking lot and California State Park rangers begin issuing parking citations to vehicles without a park or CSUS permit.
    7) 7th phase of gravel restoration (which is an absolute joke... but that's a whole other story...) Yes, a 100 yard -if that- stretch of spawning gravel was sculpted in to the Nimbus Basin, thereby ruining the fishing for legitimate anglers (roe, bobber, kwikfish, spinners/spoons) in the main channel and creating a sight-fishing/snagging paradise in the side channel... regardless of its purpose or effectiveness, it gives CDFW leverage to close basin because of the monster it has created.
    8) Nimbus Hatchery parking lot restricts parking hours from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and warns of California Highway Patrol jurisdiction to tow your vehicle if in violation.
    9) Neighborhood of Currah Downs in Orangevale overlooking the Northern exposure of the American River between the weir and USGS survey cable (and the number 1 parking spot for wall anglers in the basin) CLOSED TO PARKING/BY PERMIT ONLY
    10) I could go on and on... but suffice it to say, our fishing privileges are slowly but surely being revoked.
    11) and I know this will sound conspiracy thoery-ish... but with Governor Brown's appointees to the Fish and Game Commission (those who make and hand down the CDFW policy decisions) we are going to see more and more decisions rooted not in science, rooted not in maintaining and heaven-forbid... providing MORE fishing and hunting opportunities for those of us who pay for them.... but decisions made which reflect a coercion to push the twin tunnels through in a ploy for money and power.
    12) What sucks... is the field guys (wardens, biologists) and even their bosses actually DO CARE but they won't be allowed to act upon it.
    13) I know lots of game wardens and other CDFW employees and a friend of mine ran in to one at Rim's Deli in O-Vale and was told that it is already in the 2018-2019 regulations.

I have no need to look it up because I have no reason to doubt what I have seen coming to our river in the last 20 years.

I have mixed feelings. I have caught many fish in that basin yet I've also seen a lot of ugliness over the years.

There are many old timers and younger generation folks who are good guys who fish ethically in the basin... but I think most will admit, the basin does tend to bring out the lion's share of rippers, snaggers, poachers... and when the basin is closed... those riff-raff (great AC/DC song..) will move down in to spots I and others like to fish which are AWAY from all that madness....

So what you are saying is... You have no actual proof.

10. Likes Kaban12, redneckpunk, Jimmy_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capser42 View Post
    How realistic is it to catch salmon from the shore using the flying c or similar lures. Most of the guys I talk too say lures don't work unless you're trolling...I just invested into a new salmon set up and have never caught one yet.
    lol don't work unless your trolling? Yeah they will work. Catching one from shore is pretty realistic but if you don't wanna get burnt on it now I would wait another month or so. But yeah if you are doing it right you got some chance of catching a chrome nook. Ask the guys who told you that what they use on the bank if lures don't work

12. Likes LURKER916, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brickinthewall98 View Post
    Seems like a lot were hooked in the metro on spinners. Off the bank you can try minnow hole with flying c. Miller is also pretty good and in that area

How realistic is it to catch salmon from the shore using the flying c or similar lures. Most of the guys I talk too say lures don't work unless you're trolling...I just invested into a new salmon set up and have never caught one yet.

14. Likes Brickinthewall98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Really? Any proof ??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    It has been in the makings for years.

Many years ago, the Fish and Game Commission identified three scenarios for the aged and failing weir below Hazel Ave.

1) upgrade/modify/repair the existing weir
    2) completely replace the weir
    3) remove the weir and reroute the fish ladder so that the entrance is in the Nimbus Basin.

CDFG (as named at the time and still the name of the commission even though the department itself is now CDFW) knew that there would be lots of public outcry if the 3rd option was chosen.

As the years went on, more and more people fished the basin and poached in the basin. For every year I can remember, someone has breached the weir by lifting a section or multiple sections of gate/pickets to allow salmon in to the basin (once the ladder is open and fish processing begins).

DFW has less and less money and staff to combat the problem.

More and more, salmon are being harvested and zipped open/wasted for over-limits of roe to sell on mostly the Russian/Ukrainian black market and by all ethnicities to use for sturgeon roe.

When big brother wants to make a change, he does so in small increments so fewer people notice and even fewer rally against it (as in the twin tunnels...) so here is the turn of events:

1) Rumor has it that the basin is going to close to vehicle traffic
    2) Fisherman Ivan gets his truck stuck in basin and it gets flooded
    3) DWR determines that it is a 'safety hazard' to have cars and trucks in basin so they are outlawed
    4) Gates go in and stay locked and basin access is only permissible by foot
    5) Aquatic center (managed jointly by DWR/Cal STATE PARKS and UC Sacramento) place restrictive signs warning of citations to vehicles parked at the Lake Natoma Aquatic Center overlooking southern, high wall of Nimbus Basin
    6) Iron Ranger goes in at Aqua Center parking lot and California State Park rangers begin issuing parking citations to vehicles without a park or CSUS permit.
    7) 7th phase of gravel restoration (which is an absolute joke... but that's a whole other story...) Yes, a 100 yard -if that- stretch of spawning gravel was sculpted in to the Nimbus Basin, thereby ruining the fishing for legitimate anglers (roe, bobber, kwikfish, spinners/spoons) in the main channel and creating a sight-fishing/snagging paradise in the side channel... regardless of its purpose or effectiveness, it gives CDFW leverage to close basin because of the monster it has created.
    8) Nimbus Hatchery parking lot restricts parking hours from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and warns of California Highway Patrol jurisdiction to tow your vehicle if in violation.
    9) Neighborhood of Currah Downs in Orangevale overlooking the Northern exposure of the American River between the weir and USGS survey cable (and the number 1 parking spot for wall anglers in the basin) CLOSED TO PARKING/BY PERMIT ONLY
    10) I could go on and on... but suffice it to say, our fishing privileges are slowly but surely being revoked.
    11) and I know this will sound conspiracy thoery-ish... but with Governor Brown's appointees to the Fish and Game Commission (those who make and hand down the CDFW policy decisions) we are going to see more and more decisions rooted not in science, rooted not in maintaining and heaven-forbid... providing MORE fishing and hunting opportunities for those of us who pay for them.... but decisions made which reflect a coercion to push the twin tunnels through in a ploy for money and power.
    12) What sucks... is the field guys (wardens, biologists) and even their bosses actually DO CARE but they won't be allowed to act upon it.
    13) I know lots of game wardens and other CDFW employees and a friend of mine ran in to one at Rim's Deli in O-Vale and was told that it is already in the 2018-2019 regulations.

I have no need to look it up because I have no reason to doubt what I have seen coming to our river in the last 20 years.

I have mixed feelings. I have caught many fish in that basin yet I've also seen a lot of ugliness over the years.

There are many old timers and younger generation folks who are good guys who fish ethically in the basin... but I think most will admit, the basin does tend to bring out the lion's share of rippers, snaggers, poachers... and when the basin is closed... those riff-raff (great AC/DC song..) will move down in to spots I and others like to fish which are AWAY from all that madness....

16. Likes Waterdog, SHM, Troutbead liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast